New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

First 600

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 03:14 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

OK Alec, good luck with the test when you get to do it.

BTW, my name's not really Hawkwind, but don't tell anyone

Old 02-07-2018, 04:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Passed it. Paperwork side is being processed.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well done matey, now for the open roads

Old 02-07-2018, 02:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice looking bike! Just curious, what is the piece sticking up above the center tail fairing for? I never seen that before.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:57 PM

Its a grab handle. Some CBR's have them some don't I wonder why. An option or only available in some countries? Clocks are in miles per hour, so this is probably a Euro spec bike. It's likely a gray import then again New Zealand gets unwanted bikes from around the world. So the Suzuki GZ I have is made in Spain in 2005 I think it said August, yet it has Canadian stampings on it also 2005, so its likely it was assembled there and was first registered in NZ in Feb 2006.

License is now all processed, I have a paper temporary one for now until my actual gets sent to me. I can ride whatever whenever.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinjoef2
Its a grab handle. Some CBR's have them some don't I wonder why. An option or only available in some countries? Clocks are in miles per hour, so this is probably a Euro spec bike. It's likely a gray import then again New Zealand gets unwanted bikes from around the world. So the Suzuki GZ I have is made in Spain in 2005 I think it said August, yet it has Canadian stampings on it also 2005, so its likely it was assembled there and was first registered in NZ in Feb 2006.

License is now all processed, I have a paper temporary one for now until my actual gets sent to me. I can ride whatever whenever.
Think your going to enjoy that F2

Old 02-08-2018, 01:28 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What sort of test do you have to do over there to ride unrestricted?

Old 02-08-2018, 03:37 AM

I went CBTA - Competentcy Based Training Ability. A licensed motorbike instructor follows me and talks with an intercom and marks riding ability according to road craft - lane position, head checks, all that stuff. You can get a total of 15? I think marks against you overall before you fail. I got a few ticks against me - like once I started to merge before I indicated, small little things over the ride, generally good all in all. Its pretty strict, marked on corner approach, entry speed, following distances, observation of road markings, can't cross any solid painted lines etc.

The easy way is book with the AA or whatever, a guy in a car follows you, ride around the block, indicate, stop at stop signs, don't speed - easy as, that's how I did my restricted license was really easy. CBTA allows you to progress through the license faster, it is a bit more challenging but it does help I reckon, the roadcraft aspect can help identify areas which can be improved rather than "well done you passed".

Last edited by smokinjoef2; 02-08-2018 at 04:19 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:17 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Passed it. Paperwork side is being processed.
Well done Joe, great feeling when you know you've passed

Think it's only UK and US that use MPH, if it was from Euroland the clocks would be in KPH.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I went CBTA - Competentcy Based Training Ability. A licensed motorbike instructor follows me and talks with an intercom and marks riding ability according to road craft - lane position, head checks, all that stuff. You can get a total of 15? I think marks against you overall before you fail. I got a few ticks against me - like once I started to merge before I indicated, small little things over the ride, generally good all in all. Its pretty strict, marked on corner approach, entry speed, following distances, observation of road markings, can't cross any solid painted lines etc.

The easy way is book with the AA or whatever, a guy in a car follows you, ride around the block, indicate, stop at stop signs, don't speed - easy as, that's how I did my restricted license was really easy. CBTA allows you to progress through the license faster, it is a bit more challenging but it does help I reckon, the roadcraft aspect can help identify areas which can be improved rather than "well done you passed".
Nice and simple like the U.K. test 35 years ago. Now it’s a minefield, no wonder our Motorcycle sales are a fraction of what they were in the 1980’s

After riding a 125 when I was 17 and then obsessing about owning a big bike for about 30 years, I did my direct access 6 years ago when I was 47, it took forever and cost a fortune.

I had to do:

CBT
Theory Test
Part One (off road with cones etc.)
Part Two (observed practical road test)

I passed the lot all first time and became the proud owner of a 1996 Ducati 600SS, I was a happy man!

https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-m...e-requirements

Quick Reply: First 600