New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

F4i Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool F4i Newbie

Hello All,

Newbie to the forums here. I'm Allen - 25 - happily single. haha. Anyways.. bought an '04 cbr f4i last year for about $2800. 12k miles. It had been downed on the right side apparently at really low speeds because there is not a lot of damage. The other night at a local minor league baseball game someone knocked the scooter over that was right next to my bike causing it to tip over into a car. Needed a mirror and a front brake lever - got those replaced. I guess I can be thankful that it tipped on the same side that already had damage. I will get pics up soon, as I don't have ones as of currently.

I'm pretty new to riding motorcycles on the street, but I did take the Motorcycle Safety Class and am finally riding with a real license. In Wisconsin, there seems to be quite a few restrictions to just having a permit - I'm not sure if that is common.

Figured I would introduce myself - as I'll probably be in and out when looking for fun stuff to tear apart on the bike. I toy with cars, so I'm a bit more knowledgeable in that area but apparently bikes are easier.

There's probably a bunch more that I can share but I'm sure it will come out sooner or later. Even though I'm at work, I'll probably just go take pictures of my bike right now and post them.

Later

Old 07-03-2012, 12:46 PM

Those might be a little big. Hopefully everyone can see. Anyways, you'll see the carbon fiber mirrors I replaced, which I don't really like. They're cheaply made and the carbon fiber looks really bad. They'll work for now, if I ride this thing around enough I'm sure someone will tip it over (myself included in that group of people). Then I'll buy some new ones! From what I hear the stock ones are expensive though. Obviously the thing needs some work.

To Do:
New Seat?
Chain Guard Needed - not included with bike!? Whaaat?
Throttle Bodies Synced
Tires by next season
etc, etc

Old 07-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome and congrats on being single!
Too bad that some low life had to do that to your bike. Great news that it didn't hurt it too bad. Can't wait to see some pics of it...

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the site. You have chosen a great bike to start your motorcycling career with.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:51 PM

To Do:
New Seat?

Do the split seat conversion, it looks way better.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum Allen!

Good looking F4i.

No need for a new seat...just recover the one you have. You can do this yourself w/ marine vinyl. If you have a Joann's Fabrics nearby, they stock it. Buy a yard of it & that will be enough to do your seat twice. Other than the vinyl, you just need a stapler & some time. It can be tedious but when you're done, you'll have basically a new seat for just a few bucks worth of supplies. Otherwise, you can have your local upholstery shop recover it for you for $25-50, depending on covering selection. Also, there always seems to be seat covers on eb*y as well.

Yes, chain guards do come on the bike from the factory. Apparently, the PO took it off your bike.

Good to have you w/ us. Enjoy!

Old 07-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

listen to gotcbr. he knows of what he speaks!!! I picked up the stuff at Joann's and did my F4's seat.. I still have enough to do another seat (and oddly enough I have my old F4 seat still since I used another one to cover)

Your F4i also has an F4 seat..notice the strap... fits the same though...

Old 07-03-2012, 03:48 PM

Your F4i also has an F4 seat..notice the strap... fits the same though...
No need for a new seat...just recover the one you have. You can do this yourself w/ marine vinyl.
Aha! Someone told me that didn't think it looked stock because of the fabric. It's kind of a pain sometimes to get it and out, but I probably use it more often than the average user. I will probably be recovering the one that I have, but I'm guessing that's what the person did prior. Do I need to make sure it's Marine Vinyl?

Do the split seat conversion, it looks way better.
I tend to agree, but I don't think I have the time to do it all. Plus if I remember correctly I have to find a split seat model and tear all the stuff off of it. I may be incorrect, it was probably a year ago that I was looking. Post a good how to if you've got one available.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OrangeChrome
...Do I need to make sure it's Marine Vinyl?
Yes. Marine vinyl is designed to shed & repel water & to wear longer in the elements.

Originally Posted by OrangeChrome
I tend to agree, but I don't think I have the time to do it all. Plus if I remember correctly I have to find a split seat model and tear all the stuff off of it. I may be incorrect, it was probably a year ago that I was looking. Post a good how to if you've got one available.
Look no further than my HOW-TO. ;-) The link to it is in my sig-line.

To do the split-seat conversion, you need; '01-03 split-seat subframe, battery tray/undertail, tail cowl, tail light, seats, & misc hardware. Its an easy straight-forward conversion.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:40 PM

^^^^^^ right there^^^^^^^

good how to.....