New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

dropping first bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dropping first bike

Everyone always says ur gunna drop ur first bike and that everybody does so don't go out and buy a new bike. Well i am not buying a new bike but soon willl be buying a bike and was wondering what some of the reasons people dropped there bikes when they first started riding so that way i know what to look out for or be careful of. thanks

Old 09-13-2005, 12:07 PM
Default RE: dropping first bike

There are so many reasons...Just keep your eyes open and stay alert.
Keep your feet ready to put down at anytime.
watch for stuff in the road. I know a guy who is just starting off and was trying to make a U-turn on a hill..
He couldn't do it so stopped and backed up slow...but the hill got him and he laid it over..Just to much force. Most also get bikes they can't touch the ground or they are on thier toes...
Just be alert....Practice and be smart...

Old 09-13-2005, 01:21 PM

Hello and welcome. There are so many reasons you can and will drop your bike. Any number of things could happen. The first time I rode in the rain, I put my foot down on a white line in the road that was wet and had some oil on it. My foot shot out from under me. I was lucky and didn't drop it, but I could have easily.

Another time I was at a gas station. I just filled up, put the kickstand up, and put my foot back down. Right into a small puddle of antifreeze. My foot slipped and the bike went over. No damage to anything but my pride. Just be carefull out there. The most important thing is to take a MSF class before you do anything.

Old 09-13-2005, 01:51 PM

The first time I dropped (actually laid down) my bike, I was going out of my parking in a hurry and i let out the clutch a bit too soon and stalled the bitch, but i had more weight on the left side so it started to tip over. I had both feet planted on the ground but, I broke my back snowboarding in Quebec 4 years ago and crushed my L1 vertebrae, and being a skinny bastard I couldn't hold the bike up so I gently just put it down to the ground while trying to pull as much of the wieght upwards.

After a couple of tries and alot of adrenaline I managed to get her back up but my back hurt for days afterwards. It had a full tank of gas in it and when I stalled it my guess is the gas just floated to the left and added to the weight.

Second time some **** cut me off on my way to work at a crowded round-about so option a. was to crash into him but i went for option b. which was basically put her down (like a rabid doggie). A full tank of gas was also a factor here and i couldn't pick her up but a nice indian fellow helped me.

I need to start working out me thinks, cus I am not having that happen again. Only damage was minor scratched decals of which I've gotten replacements but will keep them safely tucked away until i want to sell her, just in case i end up doing it again and I might cry. Heh

Old 09-13-2005, 02:24 PM

Had just gotten the bike. It was cold and drizzly out. I was in a parking lot and took off a little too hot. I got the back tire spinning pretty good and I fought the bike from side to side untill eventually it kicked out too far for me. It slid out from under me and I laid it down. Scratched mirror, scratched pegs, scratch on fairing and fairing bolt, also broke the handle bar weight. Luckily the bar weight was only 8 bucks. Like everyone else has said so far. Anything can happen at any time, some you can't do anyhting about, but if you pay attention and know what's going on around you, you can prevent quite a bit. Enjoy and be careful.

Old 09-13-2005, 07:48 PM

I got real close on some gravel. Nothing yet but so damn close. You just have to look out for everything. I think the others gave perfect examples. I don't ride my bike that much so I have less experiences to go off. I have only put about 400 miles on my bike and i have had it for 4 months. I hope it never happens...... Welcome

Old 09-13-2005, 08:47 PM

Allright my story is pretty bad, but I gotta share it since you wanna know what to look for. I was pulling in my garage and turning my bike around so it faced outward (so when I hop on next time, I can just pull out). I came in and as I was turning it around at slow speed, I braked just enough to throw my balance off and the bike started tiping over to the right. I did my best to not let go and just let it crash to the ground. I did a pretty good job at holding on to it and literally "laying it down" onto the ground. So, I think its some kinda law or something that you MUST drop your first bike, cuz it doesn't even have to be from anything dangerous, it can just be some weird/stupid mistake you make....Man that's embarrasing. Oh well.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:44 PM

Drop the bike...which one and which time

It's a well known fact that motorcycles are most unstable when at a slower speed...too bad most of us find out the hard way

Old 09-13-2005, 10:55 PM

Dropped the bike because the kick stand got caught in my pant leg and was pulled back up. As I leaned it over to rest it the bike kept on going. Laid it down kind of hard and just knicked up the bar ends and some fairing. The second time it was dropped I pulled over because my rear cowl jared loose and I was holding it in my lap. Pulled off to the side and didn't realize the emergency lane was pitched to the right. Laid the cowl on the ground to the left of me and the bike slid right out from underneath me. Mid fairing cracked, turn signal scraped and bar end knicked up. Cost me a couple of bills and now i'm a bit more cautious.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:55 PM

Going through a 45 mph "S" curve trying to keep up with a guy with 20 years riding experience. I got nervous and starting applying my front brakes mid-turn, and sure enough, my bike started standing up and I ran wide. My bike hopped onto the median and threw me down the street sliding on my stomach. Sounds a lot worse than it really was as I was not really going all that fast and I had decent gear on so the biggest thing hurt was my pride.

BTW, this happened within two weeks of getting my first bike, an FZR 400.

Quick Reply: dropping first bike