New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Which choice to make

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which choice to make

Hi to all Honda fans...I'm about to join your club as I am planning to purchase my first Honda since I was 14 yrs old (used to have an XR100 back in the day). I'm seriously considering purchasing a 2003 F4i (2,700 mi) and plan on checking it out tomorrow..trouble is, I ran across a 2002 954RR (6,000 mi) which has tempted me enough to go see it first. The 2002 954RR is only $200 more but will need new tires. Both appear to be in mint condition. I've been leaning toward the F4i because the riding position seems comfortable (not as young as I used to be - 38)..but I've read that the 954RR is comfortable as well..I guess I'll know more tomorrow. I've been riding a 93 Katana 750 for the last year (Gpz550 the year before) and am searching for something more sporty and responsive, not to mention faster. I'm thinking that the 954RR might be more power than I need right now. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of either model?
Also, the guy selling the 2003F4i actually has two 03 F4is..the one with 2,700 is absolutely mint..the other has 900 miles but was ridden by a guy who races SV650s so I suspect he rode it hard. In fact, on the left side of the bike the feeler on the footpeg is broken off and there is a horizontal scratch on the outside of the engine case..looks to me like he was laying it over (maybe on the track). I'm leaning toward the 2,700 mi model..the only thing with that is I heard a clicking sound when it started last week, but only for 3 - 5 seconds. I was told that it was most likely caused by cold oil that had not yet reached the valves (it was cold out - in NH)..the sound went away and didn't return. I'd appreciate anything you could offer as to the 954RR vs. the F4i..and as between the two F4i models the guy is selling. Thanks a lot.

Old 01-13-2005, 11:07 AM
Default RE: Which choice to make

i think either is a great choice..this is my first sportbike (2002 600 f4i) and i figured id start with this and eventually move up to the 954 or the 1000RR..so far it hasnt disappointed me one bit..its quick, fast, responsive, easy to handle, light, has just enough power to keep things fun, but not too much as one little mistake wont kill you..plenty of aftermarket parts still available for it..

Old 01-13-2005, 02:15 PM

Both cracking bikes - but the bigger bike is always gonna be more desirable - i've bought a 600 before and soon enough was wishing I had gone bigger. I guess tho it all depends on what you want it for, i dont commute to work or anything, its just for fun so got meself a 1000. Good Luck!!

Old 01-13-2005, 03:42 PM

I had a "01" F4i and now have an "02" 954.
I use my Honda's primarily for track days. I was intimidated by the thought of the 954's power, but took my time getting the feel. I found the 954 easier to ride (on the track) than the F4i. I believe they both have about the same weight in stock trim. For the street the F4i might be just a little more comfy and it will feel like a rocket compared to the Katana.

Both great bikes and can sting ya if you if not respected.
If it were me and one the bikes appealed to me on the basis of looks, I would buy it for the looks over the power difference, as they both haul ***.

Don't let your age become a factor. I'm 58 and when on my Honda, I feel 18!
Yard work hurts my back. Riding sportbikes heals it!

Tough decision. Let us know what ya get.

Rich

Old 01-13-2005, 04:18 PM

Thanks so much to all of you for your thoughts. I actually snuck out of work for an hour to go see the 954..it is absolutely mint with some extras (erion slip on, power commander III, aftermarket signals & grips). It has 6,200 miles on it and orginal tires. The rear tire needs replacing. The front looks like it is good for another season. Chicken strips on the front were about 3/4 to 1 inch and mabye 1/2 to 3/4 on the back. The bike doesn't appear to be abused at all. Garage kept. The riding conditions were less than optimal (wet roads around 38 degrees and tons of fog) but I was able to take it for a brief spin. I was amazed by the low end torque on that machine. It is certainly a bike to be respected (as is the F4i). I like the fact that it will have all the power I'll ever need. Honestly, I won't be on the track much at all..probably a couple of times a season (never been before..can't wait). I'll use the bike mostly for weekend riding. But having all that power available is really nice. I'm a bit torn right now but for $200 more (plus a new rear tire), I'm leaning toward the 954. Any other thoughts are appreciated. I'll let you know what I decide (probably soon because I've been obsessing over this way too long). Thanks to all.

Old 01-13-2005, 04:58 PM

Hi and welcome to the boards. Well first off, it sounds like you have some good riding experience and maturity on your side. Personally in your situation, i'd go with the 954. It sounds like a good deal and you won't get used to the power. However i'd try and arrange a day to take them for one last back to back ride on a nice day. Just make sure the 954 is comfortable for you. If comfort is a big factor, you want to make sure on your purchase. If you were a new rider i'd tell you to stay away from both, but you are not. Price isn't an issue, so it comes down to power, looks, comfort, & reliabality. They both are fairly new and low mileage, so I don't think reliabality will be an issue. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.
Chris

Old 01-13-2005, 05:49 PM

Thanks for your reply, Chris. Comfort is a factor for me and that is exactly why I have stayed clear of the GSXR and R6/R1. I actually found the 954RR to be fairly comparable to the F4i in terms of riding position, and much more comfortable than the GSXR. I don't plan on spending hours at a time on the bike so I can sacrefice a bit on comfort. I have already accepted that neither the F4i or the 954RR will be as comfortable than my Katana..but that is ok by me because I do want some better responsiveness and more speed. I was amazed at how nimble both Hondas were. I'll probably decide by tonight..likely to be the 954. Thanks..Scott

Old 01-13-2005, 06:26 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with the 954 -- it sounds like that is what you like the best.

And even though I'm not completely cupping my front tires when the back is worn out, I've been replacing them with the rears anyway. The handling on a set of new tires is just beautiful. Chaparral and some other on-line stores give you a discount if ya buy both. I got a set of BT012SS for $213 shipped.

Old 01-13-2005, 10:44 PM

When ordering tires through a discount place, isn't there a risk that you're getting tires that have been sitting for a while and might have some dry rot? In the past, I've bought tires through a shop..bad idea? Spending too much for nothing?

Old 01-13-2005, 11:11 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course you run that risk anywhere -- I've seen some pretty dusty tires on dealer floors. Dry rot in either case ought to be rare due to the better rubber they make them out of these days. If you buy from a reputable discounter then you should get the same quality tire as you would at a dealer. Just not the dealer mark-up.

Quick Reply: Which choice to make