New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

cbr 600 f2 electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry cbr 600 f2 electrical problem

help....my son bought a cbr 600f2 about 2 months ago.(for £150,sorry had to put that in still cant believe it my self)the bike was running fine until a fortnight ago.I got the call to go and pick him up where he told me all he could smell was rotten eggs.We had a look through the forums and pined it down to a faulty regulator.When we examined it the wires has melted in the plug.A new regulator was bought the wires were trimmed and fitted to the new plug,a week later a new battery arrived,great lets get the thing running .....ignition on.dashboard lights on,a bit of choke and away we go,the engine spins but does not fire.....bollocks....i see what it is the kill switch is on the off position that will be why the engine is turning but not firing....kill switch moved to the run position ignition on dash lights up again...hit the start button ..pop..10a fuse blown...could be a faulty fuse lets try again...fuse in ...check everything is working....no headlight,will replace the bulb later.....ignition...press start button......pop.....fuse has gone again.....AAAAAAGGGGHHHHHH....Can anybody point us in the right direction as to what is going wrong.this is the first time we have used a forum so be good to us.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Registered Users

Which fuse keeps blowing? What component does the fuse provide protection for? Usually a blown fuse indicates a short to ground BEFORE the component or the component itself is shorted... let me know which fuse is blowing and I might be able to help u out.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by BlazeJv
Which fuse keeps blowing? What component does the fuse provide protection for? Usually a blown fuse indicates a short to ground BEFORE the component or the component itself is shorted... let me know which fuse is blowing and I might be able to help u out.
its the 10amp fuse...thanks for replying

Old 08-23-2011, 04:28 PM

id check the wires that plug into the starter realy with the main fuse in it. On mine 2 of the wires were worn thru and shorting out. Wasnt allowing it to start and melted the plug and wires going to the relay

Old 08-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Hope you're able to get the gremlin figured out! Good luck.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Registered Users

Your fuse panel cover should have descriptions telling you which fuse powers which circuits. Unfortunately I don't know what the "10 amp" fuse powers on your F2, I ride an F1 Hurricane and it has multiple 10 amp fuses for different circuits and the cover for the fuse panel tells me which fuses are which so I would think an F2 would have that aswell. I would have to agree with Boxdgm, try and find out EXACTLY which 10A fuse is blowing, that'll help alot. Good Luck.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:22 PM

thanks to everybody who has posted a reply,i have downloaded a wiring diagram and shall test the circuits this weekend and shall let you know how i got on .once again thank you

Old 08-25-2011, 04:17 PM

i think i may have found the cause of the problem.the plug for the headlight was burnt through on one side.regulator plug melted light plug melted..any ideas why?

Attached Thumbnails cbr 600 f2 electrical problem-imag0006.jpg  
Old 08-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, the R/R's on the whole CBR-series were poorly engineered. It is a common
complaint on an other-wise flawless platform. I'm guessing, when the r/r started
failing, it was sending poor voltage to the head-light and caused it to over-heat.

You can get a new head-light plug end at any auto store. I recommend soldering
the connection along with heat-shrink tubing. I have had good luck with the
crimp-style connectors, but I like the cleaner look the bundle has.

That should take care of the head-light, hopefully with the new r/, you'll
be good to go.

Ern

Old 08-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Unhappy

stopped the fuse blowing.engine turns over.no rear lights no spark

Quick Reply: cbr 600 f2 electrical problem