New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

brand new to motorcycle riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: brand new to motorcycle riding

ORIGINAL: tonyp79247

its cool i had an anut die from a motorcycle ride, thing is i did know her but was very close to my mom.

im also thinkin about buying an 07 cbr 600rr, as a frist bike im only 16 but dont get me wrong i have been riding with cuzins for about an year now. i only top at 120

so should i get one or get a smaller bike

im 16
110lbs
5'6
If you're referring to 120mphs. You should reconsider buying a motorcycle and getting a bicycle. You might live a little bit longer.

Once you mature up ... start on a 250 and go from there.

Mallory, Welcome to the Forum! Moving story. I implore you to take a look at this posting below. Great job on asking for help... we have a great bunch of riders here willing to offer their advice.

https://cbrforum.com/m_360824/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Starting on the same bike as you... I can offer a couple suggestions

Practice Practice Practice
Braking and Emergency Braking
Throttle Control

Goodluck and keep the shiny side up

Old 02-05-2008, 09:42 AM

Awesome story! MSF course will do ya wonders, MAKE SURE you've got good riding gear (Hands, body, legs, ankles, feet, head), and +1 on being invisible. Heck, on my Bright Blue '07, in the middle of a sunny afternoon, in blue riding gear, with my wife on the back in her sky blue and white gear... A guy in an oldschool VW beetle cut out accross traffic and tried his best to run me off the road. If I hadn't been looking out and hadn't "seen it coming", the outcome wouldn't have been me honking the horn and giving him the old New-York 'Hello'.

Other than that, baby steps are good! Keep up the good work! A 600 might have been a little much to start with (people always say it's about the power or whatever, but really, starting small hones your skills so much quicker!) but hey, you seem to have a level head on your shoulders and are taking it in as good a stride as you can. So... with that, my hats off to you. Good luck and let us know if there's anything you need help with!

Old 02-05-2008, 06:04 PM

sooo.....i rode my bike yesterday...i still havent taken it out of 1st gear...but i was trying to make a u-turn...and i dumped it!!! i was weary at first turning (which i have done many times) and i continued on...well..i braked and i lost control...i tried to keep it up..i had my left foot firm on the ground to help me and it was still goin down. the next thing i did was just jump off...i rolled a little bit and just layed there on my back...PISSED OFF!! i had a small tantrum..hitting the ground..lol. my husband came running and picked the bike up. im fine, bikes fine..just a very smalll scratch on the crank case...fairings are fine...mirrors, turn signals..everything is fine. its crazy.

i brought my bike into my friends shop today and hes going to lower it for me. i had sat on the same cbr600 i have at SunSports and i was lowered and i felt very comfortable on it, balanced it perfectly.

im stillalittle upset for what happened. i braked in the turn and went too slow...wrong move! sucks.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: zleek0

sooo.....i rode my bike yesterday...i still havent taken it out of 1st gear...but i was trying to make a u-turn...and i dumped it!!! i was weary at first turning (which i have done many times) and i continued on...well..i braked and i lost control...i tried to keep it up..i had my left foot firm on the ground to help me and it was still goin down. the next thing i did was just jump off...i rolled a little bit and just layed there on my back...PISSED OFF!! i had a small tantrum..hitting the ground..lol. my husband came running and picked the bike up. im fine, bikes fine..just a very smalll scratch on the crank case...fairings are fine...mirrors, turn signals..everything is fine. its crazy.

i brought my bike into my friends shop today and hes going to lower it for me. i had sat on the same cbr600 i have at SunSports and i was lowered and i felt very comfortable on it, balanced it perfectly.

im stillalittle upset for what happened. i braked in the turn and went too slow...wrong move! sucks.
Sorry to hear but no worries! Did you have frame sliders on yet? .. if not go ahead and get them installed. Things like that happen. Can you flat foot the bike as is? Do you know what you might have done wrong? if so..it was a learning experience and its great that it was in a controlled environment. I had a close call on my bike doing the U turn at the dmv. My mistake was.. I panic'd because I was getting ready to cross the boundries and grabbed a handful of front brakes! opps! [&:]Needless to say I had to muscle it from going over. Next timedoingthe U-turn, use the Rear brake(the Key for veryslow turns)softly to help make the turn tighter(avoidyour front brake at all cost)... if from some reason you think the bike is getting ready to go over.. straighten out the front tire/clutch in/ and put on the front brakes.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:35 AM
Banned

i braked in the turn and went too slow...wrong move! sucks
The first 'real' bike I rode was my buddies 051krr, he said to me 'walk it around any slow turns, DON'T RIDE IT'.

I wonder why none of us had said the usual ' too much bike for a noob' thing on this thread. or 'learn on a smaller/older/cheaper bike because you almost always crash your first bike'. Maybe because the bike was bought already?

So I am going to say what others may be thinking, park the RR, get a old 250 ninja for a few thousand miles and then try again. It isn't hard to ride a bike, but learning takes a little time. And a 600 sportbike isn't the best choice to learn on. I only have 11,000 road miles and I really only feel that I am somewhat competent/safe on my bike (road stuff, not track stuff), I have a LOT of learning to do.

But I'm glad you didn't get hurt, glad it wasn't a locked up rear tire leading to a highside, or an endo or any other thing like that.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:41 PM

welcome to the forums, love the colors you have, red and black...awww....i want an '07 now in red and black.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:54 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

Old 02-12-2008, 06:03 AM

hey!! sorry i havent posted in a bit...i was busy taking the MSF class!! i passed on sunday!! im now certified! hehe. so ive been practicing on my cbr..its waaaaay different than the 250cc ive been on for the past few days at the school. im riding around in my neighborhood practicing on stopping and taking off. Im not ready yet for the streets. im very happy...cant wait to just ride. my husband is very proud of me...sunday afternoon after i came home and tried to ride my bike, i was discouraged because i kept stalling on my bike...well duh, its not the same as the 250cc's...but i got back on it later that evening and tried again..learning!! then he took me for a nice long ride on his bike around the city. then yesterday after work we headed out around the neighborhood and i did very well.

i want to ride today after work but thunderstorms are due to roll in this afternoon. siiigh. i can wait...