New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Benefit of your opinion please

Old 09-27-2007, 04:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Benefit of your opinion please

Hi everyone from across the pond. First post!I hope this is not considered spam.

I am looking for some opinions and real world thoughts on owning a CBR 6. I'm thinking of buying a 600 sports bike next year. I've just had an extended ride on a ZX6 Kawasaki but over here in the UK the CBR6 has been voted as best bike of 2007 by the leading motorcycle title over here. I'm sure the specs are pretty similar but, it's really hard to find any significant differences other than simply brand allegianceI have obviously asked the same question on UK sites but I thought it would be interesting to get some views from the US market as well.
I regularly post on the site forumwww.ukbike.com and wondered if any of you lot would mind giving me the benefit of your opinion. I really can't make my mind up, especially as its possinble a new Yamaha R6 is gonna be launched next year as well..

I'm a six footer, ride in most weathers andneed to use the bike for a 100 mile commuteon a regular basis and general scratching. If I can get away with squandering hard earned money also some track days etc. I can't bear the thought of buying a 'sensible' bike (though everyone tells me I should)butit has to be comfortable and user friendly. Plus I will be skint for years afterwards so will have to keep whatever I buy for at least two-three years. I think I get an e-mail alert if any of you reply to this post, or perhaps you could have a look on the bike site mentioned above.

Cheerz, thanx alot

Old 09-27-2007, 08:30 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Benefit of your opinion please

First off.... welcome to the forum.

So, you're asking opioin on what bikes we like, or mostly, why do we like the CBRs so much?

Honda is known to be very reliable and that's the answer you will see mostly here. As for the ZX6, I do not see any in my area and only a couple in the area I just moved from. I rode an 05 ZX636 a little and just didn't like the feel of it. I was in a group of guys that didn't mind trading off bikes to try them out, so I rode an 05 R1, 01 GSX 750, GSX 600, 04 and 03 CBR600RR, 01 Canof tuna, 98 F3 and the list goes on. I've like all of these, but just something about the riding position of the ZX didn't fit me. I ride an 05 600RR by the way. The CBR isn't the most comfortable bike in the 4 jap bikes. In fact, it's about the most uncomfortable for long trips. The seat is a brick and that's the way it's meant to be. There's no padding to slow you down when you're shifting your weight from side to side in the twisties. I like this feature. If you're looking for a 100 mile touring bike, I'd suggest an F4i.

Hope I answered some of your questions, please feel from to ask more. PM me to make sure I see the question.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Roadhoover
I am looking for some opinions and real world thoughts on owning a CBR 6.... over here in the UK the CBR6 has been voted as best bike of 2007 by the leading motorcycle title over here.
Welcome to the site Roadhoover.

The magazines I read over here (3 I think) ALL rated the '07 CBR # 1.

Here's something I found from your side of the pond:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...t/mfbike02.xml

...and a vid:
http://one.revver.com/watch/225944

...and a quote from bikeintro.com:
"Serious sportbike pilots have eagerly anticipated the arrival of the potent new 2007 CBR600RR, and now the industry experts have confirmed this incredible machine was well worth the wait. Cycle News crowned this middleweight missile winner of its ‘07 600cc Class Shootout, with the more compact, more powerful and lighter-weight 600RR easily besting the competition on both track and street. Roadracing World went one better, calling the CBR600RR “the best 600cc sportbike ever.†Praise doesn’t come much higher. And neither does performance."

Old 09-28-2007, 12:30 AM

Welcome! For one, I believe that, for whatever reason, Honda's engineers take a unique approach to building machines. The other Japanese are fantastic, of course, among the best in the world, but if you want a true moto-companion that feels like it was hand-made to include even the smallest of details you find important (without spending 40k pounds), then go with the Honda. No, I do not and have never worked for the company, but I have had the pleasure of owning several CBR's since the early nineties (I am how old? Dammit...). Honda remains paired with BMW as the only manufacturers in Formula One that also produce motorcycles and to me that counts for a great deal (please see about asking Toyota in your politest British tone if they could be bothered to become the third...).

Old 09-28-2007, 06:46 AM
Banned

100 mile commuteon a regular basis
I don't know if sportbike is ideal for this application, but the Honda is known for reliability and the ergos are better than they used to be.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:30 AM

Welcome to the site, and here's my opinion/advice. I've not personally sat on a zx6r, and I can't say much about the yamaha that's going to come out. The current 07 yamaha, to me (at 6'2", 180lbs) isn't as comfortable as my '07 Honda CBR 600rr. I did get a chance to ride an '06 cbr 600rr, and let me tell you that they aren't kidding when they make fun of the rock-hard seat those things had. The 07's seat is WAY more comfortable. I've done a few long trips on my CBR, my most recent was 280 miles one way. I was less sore in the end than I had expected and honestly... it wasn't that bad.

A sport bike will never be the "top dog" in the long trip comfort area... but if you aren't looking for only comfort, I can only say that I love em. The 07cbr is hot stuff, and I love the way the engine pulls. The zx6r (from what I've heard) is similar to yamaha in that you really have to wind it up to get power. I've read some articles saying that the general consensus is that the kawasaki can corner like a demon, but it's engine just doesn't have enough bite. The CBR on the other hand, has good "daily commute" power in the midrange (where most of us that aren't at the track will be riding around in anyways), good power up top, and corners like a banshee as well. Add that with it's more relaxed seating position (in comparison to the zx6r) and... well... I guess the choice is yours. But for me... 6800 miles on my cbr and counting... loving every minute of it!

Old 10-02-2007, 09:36 AM

Hello & Welcome!!

I have a fish pond....