New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

05 cbr help diagnose running like a 4 stroke

Old 09-03-2018, 12:40 PM
Default 05 cbr help diagnose running like a 4 stroke

If you don't want to read scroll down the problem is that it sounds like a 4 stroke from 1-4k-sh rpm

Let me start with an apology if doing anything wrong as this is my first post. Hello, I've been searching forums for awhile now and can't seem to find an answer so I decided to become a postee.
I own a 2005 Honda cbr600rr I have been riding around a year and a half and this is my first bike. I bought it running great only problem turning the handle bars right would give a wrong reading in the temp and turn on the oil light not a huge deal.
Around 3 months ago i was riding to work wasn't paying full attention and wrecked.(Bike landing on left side). The problem that i'm having with it is it sounds like a 4 stroke from 1-4000ish rpm but once the seconds injectors kick in it sounds normal(maybe a power loss i don't remember cause i hit my head pretty good that day).
i didn't want to, but was left with no choice to ride it home from work and haven't rode it since. It also produced a ticking noise from the lower end really close to spark plug. i turned a screwdriver all the way to the right in the cct(cam chain tensioner) to reset it and it drastically reduced the sound but is still very very slightly there(doesn't get louder if rpm's are raised)(it's almost normal sounding not too worried but thought I should mention.) I have pulled the sparks from cylinder 3 and 4 and they seemed normal. Something does move inside the coils that i checked(3+4). Gas is fresh and pump will prime. Air filter is clean. I don't know where to go from here because parts will add up quickly. I was going to replace spark and run sea foam threw it next, but wanted some opinions first. Not looking to take to a shop and spend a grand.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

If the bike sounds like a four stroke, that's a good thing

If the problem arises after a crash, that's a pretty big clue as to where to start looking. You want to start at the point of impact and work outwards, methodically checking for cracked cases, missing wires, broken components, or other damage. Confirm that she's still holding oil. It could be something as minor as a bad ground. Also check battery voltage as they are often damaged in a crash. What you describe sounds like a misfire, so you're probably on the right track looking at the ignition and fuel systems. Any codes on the ECU? You'll also need to confirm spark for all four cylinders, and pulling the plugs might be a clue if one or more cylinders are running badly

For that matter, you could have electrical problems, but you'll want to knock off the basics before going down that rabbit hole

Hope that helps

Old 09-04-2018, 02:45 PM

Thank you so much for making me get off my butt and check it out. i found an exhaust leak on the first port on the exhaust manifold to the block. also the #2 plug wasn't fully pushed in all the way. i feel stupid its always the simple things. If all is well it will be fixed when i work on the exhaust.
again, much thanks.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:28 PM

Good and bad news. Working on her and fixed the exhaust leak. but the problem still coexists. honestly sounds exactly like a subaru(really poppy, no backfire). Idle is rough. It died on me when i pulled in clutch and bike sometimes gives an extra crank when turned on. it sounds like it wants to die(and has) when cold.
i checked all spark plugs and they all had a blue spark. there has been 0 leaks the entire time the bike has sat. i went for a small ride to gas station for 93 because what i thought sounded fine(i let it warm up)(ran sea foam threw it) but in the gears it still was there. i don't have a code reader but nothing pops up on dash. the battery is fully charged, investing in a multi meter soon. friends say it might need a valve adjustment. Also theirs a bit of power loss on primary injectors. honestly still showing signs of a misfire but what confuses me is all 4 sparks are firing. Possibly fuel pressure regulator?

Last edited by Drake Gillespie; 09-04-2018 at 08:30 PM. Reason: adding more stuff
Old 09-05-2018, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Hmm. Confirming fuel flow is fairly simple. I think you just pop one of the fuel lines off and direct the fuel into a measuring cup, then turn it on and see how long it takes to fill. Probably worthwhile to rule it out

I'd put my money on a vacuum leak. If she went down hard, something may have cracked or shook loose. That would cause a lot of the problems you describe. Detrim it and check

While the tank's off is a good time to check valve adjustment, but I don't really see how a crash would have knocked those loose. It might still be worthwhile to get a visual of the cam chain to make sure there's nothing sketchy going on. Your earlier comment about the noise changing when the cam adjuster was tightened may be something to worry about, but more likely, I think the engine is noisy because it's running badly. I bet if you find a vacuum leak, fixing it would make it sound a lot better

Old 09-05-2018, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Drake Gillespie View Post
the battery is fully charged, investing in a multi meter soon
Also, don't feel the need to get a nice multimeter. Leave those to the guys who will use it for 8 hours a day. For automotive/household use all you'll really use is volts and ohms. I've got a super cheap $5 multimeter and it refuses to die, even when I accidentally jammed one of the terminals in a light socket and melted the terminal end down to a nub. Can't even remember the last time it needed a battery. When it dies I'll consider a fluke, but I hope that day never comes, cause the thing's awesome

Old 09-10-2018, 05:18 PM

i haven't had much time to work on her yet, i managed to get the fuel tank off but the hose WILL NOT come off. almost to the point of cutting it and replacing. i'm not sure where to be looking but i saw no loose wires or hoses what-so-ever when i had the tank picked up. I'll work on it when i get some free time,

Old 09-21-2018, 11:32 AM

I've been doing some research it is possible that it may be the throttle position sensor(tps) picking up a multimeter today.
Mainly because the bike landed right on the sensor. Also its a fuel injected not carb. should have mentioned that in first post. Wish luck

Last edited by Drake Gillespie; 09-21-2018 at 11:33 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 09-22-2018, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Drake Gillespie View Post
bike landed right on the sensor
Yup. That'd definitely do it

I moved this thread from a different thread for an older model. Assumed you wanted it here. PM if questions/concerns

Good luck

Old 10-11-2018, 04:53 PM

Alright, i had my friend look at it. It was the CCT. tuned up and all good now. thanks much for help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 cbr help diagnose running like a 4 stroke

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.