Ladies Lounge Off Topic Section for female CBR enthusiasts to discuss non-CBR related topics.

Long hair while riding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long hair while riding?

Hey ladies!
I'm brand new to riding and I was wondering what you do with your hair when you put on your helmet? I've been a passenger many times and I always had a hard time figuring out what to do with my hair :/

I have medium/long hair and I straighten it every morning. If I put it in a ponytail I'll have a crazy dent in my hair when I take off my helmet.

Do you just put up with it? Do you wear it in a ponytail? Do you braid it?

Old 04-27-2010, 09:38 PM

Ponytail. Leave it out the back of my helmet ... and spend a lot of time combing it. The wind does it no good at all, but I can't stand having it tucked in.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:47 PM

Thanks Michelle!

I'd like to clarify since I saw the boys' posts earlier. By no means do I want to risk safety over beauty. If my hair is making my helmet fall off or not fit properly, there's no way I'm leaving it like that.

There are many different ways to braid your hair or keep it in a ponytail that wouldn't make my head "all huge" and mess with the helmet itself. I was just wondering what other girls do since I do care about what my dome looks like when I take my helmet off. I'd like to have a little dignity and not look like this:

(This is not me, btw)

Old 04-28-2010, 03:47 AM

Hahaha. I'm almost past caring what it looks like when I take my helmet off, as I seem to spend more time with it on, but it does look rather flat.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:31 PM

I can't help with the what to do with long hair, because I have every short hair (seriously, I look like a boy with a pink helmet). But I can sympathize with wanting it to look decent when the helmet comes off. For the longest time I always got the Alf Alfa sprout or rooster tail, which is not at all attractive. I finally figured out a way to put my helmet on a little funky and then pull it forward, so now it's just flat but that's much better than the alternative.

Last edited by thatsarachik; 04-28-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

French braids! Any way you can keep those baby hairs around the hairline from getting windblown, the happier you'll be when it comes time to comb it out. Or another thing I've had good luck with is twisties with bobby pins and or a bandana rolled up and worn like a headband... dunno how good that'd work with a helmet though. I think french braids is probably your best bet, cause then if you take em out, it's pretty and wavy.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah, also, when you comb it out, do it in the shower. Wash it first and slop and bunch of conditioner on there and find a big *** comb!!! Mine has a ridge on the top the keeps it from slipping out of my hands. You could use a pick too. My favorite conditioners:
Redken Real Control, Redken All Soft, Redken Smooth Down, Biolage Hydrate, It's a 10 Hair Mask. So pretty much anything Redken! ;-)

Old 05-13-2010, 07:18 PM

Saw this on another forum. www.wrapter.com it's like a ponytail condom. Haven't bought one yet, but probably will because I hate trying to comb out my hair when I get to work. Found it cheaper on another site, but forgot to bookmark the link. Guess I'll look some more.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:20 AM

Wow that hair condom is kind of scary looking, but I'm sure it works well . I think I'd rather do a braid and leave it wavy when I take my helmet off.

Meggers, I wish I could french braid my own hair.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:02 PM

I just put it in a ponytail and let it hang out the back. My hair is longer than shoulder-length. Then again, I don't care much for looks so the low ponytail works great for efficiency, not so great for looks.

Quick Reply: Long hair while riding?