Ladies Lounge This section is intended ONLY for use by our female members. Guys are NOT allowed to post in the Ladies Lounge. Only Female members and CBRForum staff are allowed to post in here.

NEW CBR OWNER!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW CBR OWNER!

Well, after posting the message below at the end of 2007, I just bought a brand new 08 cbr 600 in the graffiti color scheme last week and I love it! I had my doubts since all of the posts on here say that this isnt a good first bike to have but it couldnt be easier to ride. Its actually not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, its actually quite easy. I did drop her already however; I was making a right turn on red when I realized it was a no turn on red...stopped midway through leaning and it went over...slowly but surely. Only minor scratches on the rightcrank case(???)and bar handle end...and the front brake handle snapped in half, but I have a new one coming. Anyways, its a great bike and to everyone out there (guy or girl) this is a great first bike, even for a girl!

Hey there,

I am new to the site and am looking to buy a new cbr 600 as my first bike...but I have a couple of questions for you ladies.

1st, I took the MSF course and breezed through it...but I have a question about the clutch on cbr 600s. During the course, the bike that I was on (Nighthawk I believe) was easy to get going off of a stop...like all I had to do was release the clutch...no throttle at all...but I have been reading quite a few posts on this forum where a lot of people have been stalling, so my question is: do you have to use the throttle on the CBRs coming from a dead stop to get the bike going?

2nd, I am 5'8", 5'9" and want to be comfortable at stops. How close will I be able to get my heels on the ground?

Thanks so much for the help!

Old 02-01-2008, 06:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: clutch work?

First I'm a guy...so there is no confusion.

I would think there would be a high probability that you will need to give it some throttle to keep it from stalling. I have '92 F2. It's my first bike and it took a lot of time to get accustomed to it (my street and driveway is on an incline). I still stall at traffic lights on occassion. Just remember what they showed you in class in terms of getting used to the clutch. It's important that you get used to it before going out on the streets.

In terms of height, I'm 5'8" and I believe I can have my feet on the ground on my F2 don't know if it would be the same with the newer RR's. I believe some ladies suggested wearing boots with a larger sole or was it a heal, I don't remember. Either, be careful and please wear your gear.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:34 AM

Sry for postin here but on the 06 600rr there isnt any need for gas to get going from a stop...

Old 02-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, like I said, my street and my driveway are on a hill plus I have an older bike. Might all be related.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:10 PM

Thanks! ...but any word from any of the ladies on CBR 600s?

Old 02-01-2008, 06:04 PM

Well, 5'8" - 5'9". I would say you will be comfortable unless your inseem is less then 30". I'm 5'4" with a 30" inseem and have no troubles on any of our bikes. Also, there is the custom seat option if you want it lowered.

Need for throttle always depends on the the bike, grade (incline, etc.) of the pavement and how your idle is set. However, beware to not intentially set your idle high just to avoid using throttle from a stop. Idle should be around 800 - 1100 rpm without choke (each bike is different). I generally try to target idle right around 1100 on my non-fuel injected machines.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to the site and motorcycling!

Old 02-05-2008, 11:06 PM

Hey there,

I have a CB599 and I definitely have to use throttle on mine. My husband has a 600rr and he says yes you will need the throttle, but like Acara says, it really depends on the bike. You should have no problem on reaching the ground tho...I am 5'4" and can reach the ground better on his 600rr than on my CB599.

If you want a "crotch rocket" for your first bike that's great, but check out the 599s. They are comfortable for a 1st bike, no awkward positions and they have a ton of power. The 600rr positioning was too much for me as a new rider to think about. I wanted to be comfortable in riding before trying to be in that awkard position and be constantly thinking about what I am doing. That's just me though. Let us know how it goes and good luck!

Old 02-06-2008, 08:33 PM

Thanks for the info! There was a guy you previously mentioned that he had a CBR 600RR who said he didn't need to use any throttle from a start (I'm assuming his post isn't there anymore because he's male)...why do you think this is?

Old 02-08-2008, 07:28 PM

The guys really aren't suppose to post here. I'm sure the mods removed the post for that reason.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

*yestheir posts were removed because men are not supposed to post in here (mods/admins excluded but still try and keep it minimal as possible) *

and as far as not having to use gason astart you could always turn up your rpm's or adjust your clutch cable so it engages soonerrequiring very little to get you moving. nowplease becareful when doing this as making such stated adjustments can and will change the way your bike responds and if you aren't paying attention or are still unfamiliar with your bike it couldprove to be hazardous.

Quick Reply: NEW CBR OWNER!