The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Why do they try to kill us?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We wouldn't last too long I'd say Steve? My mates and I started riding on 'nifty fifties' when we were 16 to the day...maybe a little before that, but don't tell anyone. We couldn't get a car licence 'til 17 so I think more people experienced 2 wheels just to get mobile a year earlier. Even those that just rode for the 1 year would have a better understanding of how vulnerable we are compared to the tanks getting around on the roads now. I wouldn't claim to be the best car driver on the planet, but I'm sure as hell a better one for also being a bike rider.

I'm feeling a rant coming on so I'd better p!ss off.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bit of sad news ..I was watching the morning news today and realised they were describing a fatal crash in my neighborhood. With the pictures of the bike,I realised not only was the accident close, but I was familiar with the rider. I knew that bike !! It was a streetfighter the guy had built, I had seen and heard him testing it in the neighborhood, and once it was running had seen him out on it.
A Lexus SUV had left turned in front of him, clipped the bike ...The news seemed proud that no one in the Lex was hurt, no damage to the vehicle, the bike was doing 60 in a 40...and was dead.
I didnt know the guy. We recognised each other around the hood and on the road, but it still bothered me. The big question was would he have survived had he worn a helmet. The bike was not tornup, I am guessing the SUV clipped him ,spun him out and he got thrown. I never saw him in a helmet whether in town or the occasions we would leave at the same time in the morning.Another one where a cage driver did the wrong thing, but what I am saying is ,folks, wear the damn thing !
Ok I am going to rant so I'll stop before ...Maybe later..

Old 11-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw my friend at the hospital last week. He's off bikes according to his wife and mother. Leg and arm definitely busted with his leg on a pump to remove fluid build up.

grendl: his helmet was FUBAR. His mother retrieved it from the state police and he had it in the hospital room. Gouged (not scraped) front to back and and all around, somehow the face shield held. He wasn't smart enough to wear his jacket. But he had enough sense to save his life with the helmet

Old 11-01-2010, 08:30 PM

Glad to hear your buddy is gonna be alright,K. Wives and mothers have taken more of us off the bikes than anything. The remainders of the helmets are the best teachers in real life.
Maybe if he says "Baby Pleeeeease" the wife might go for it again.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:40 PM

His mother chewed me out when I visited. She asked if I rode and then launched into a guilt trip that had me "Yes ma'am"ing with laser straight posture in under a minute.

The guy that cut him off had better never meet her. She'd flay him with just words... And then rip him apart with her bare hands. The loathing in the hospital room was tangible and that was after more than a week since the accident with a fully recovery as a prognosis.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

Tough having to roll with something like that Kuro nothing more direct than a mothers wrath if you ask me !

Old 11-02-2010, 01:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A big +1 on helmets and good gear. Yes, it might be too hot. No, you don't look as cool, but it can save you! Just falling over and cracking your head on the kerb can kill you, just look at all the guys who die in dumb ar5ed drunken fights from this kind of injury. Add even low speed on a bike and what chance has your brain got?

A mate at work's son hit a fence post riding a dirt bike on the weekend. He had three toes amputated yesterday but is otherwise ok. He didn't even come off the bike. Problem was, he was wearing thongs (flip flops or pluggers to some of you). Only he knows why...the guy's in his mid 20s and should know better.

Even if there were no helmet laws here, I'd still wear mine. I've come off a few times in my youth and smacked my head wearing a lid...don't know if I'd be here now without that protection.

For f#ck's sake guys, watch out for yourselves. Bet your arris, nobody else is!

Old 11-02-2010, 12:25 PM

I wonder sometimes if a lot of folks realise what is really going on, what they are really doing.Flip flops on a bike? how do you shift without that being painful in itself. I was up in the mountains and saw a dude on an old XS-11(I had one). No comparison to the modern bikes but enough. 60 mph is roughly 80 feet per second.Helmet gloves and boots are basic requirments,but hey I'm preaching to the choir. I just feel bad for folks that dont get it,but even after a fall,with a broken jaw, torn up face amoung the injuries I know a woman that wont wear a hat (her HD riding boyfreind doesnt ,so.,,).what can ya do...forgetaboutit.. No law in Colorado either and I dont ride around thinking about falling, but it just makes sense to me......

Quick Reply: Why do they try to kill us?