The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Why is CBR forum so slow? (not the people, the website itself)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

can see a difference already. Its blocking 53 scripts from this site. tsk tsk tsk the tech guys should know better!!!!!

Old 02-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Playful - I loaded the Noscript from Firefox - def an improvement.
Now someone tell me what "scripts" are and why are they coming through without approval ?
I'm a mug with computers ! (and many other things)
But it seems to have disabled my smilies too.......

Old 02-13-2010, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow
Thanks Playful - I loaded the Noscript from Firefox - def an improvement.
Now someone tell me what "scripts" are and why are they coming through without approval ?
I'm a mug with computers ! (and many other things)
But it seems to have disabled my smilies too.......
alot of sites will use scripts to call up javascript to do a number of things like custom navigation, auto embeding of videos, resizin of pix etc. Prob with CBRF is it has scripts for the ad, google analitics, etc, etc, etc, along with all the normal stuff, on avg 40 - 50 scripts getting blocked. My site n a few others I've checked avg about 8 - 10.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Well Pete, if you have that "Enable Java scripts " and other scripts enables in your settings , then YOU are giving them permission mate ..

A script is a little piece of website code(instructions) , sometimes loaded on the same page as the one you may be viewing , or it is a separate stand alone file that is called for by the same page you are viewing ...

They are just little instructions given to your browser and or the server that the pages come from , to do all manner of things including as you have found , load smilies...

It is rather incredible that the CBRF has so many running at any given time ... and yes it is the reason the pages sometimes hang ...

EG/ You open a CBRF page , then a script written within the CBRF page code sends an instruction for it to load a page or(script) or graphics or what ever for an advert that actually lives somewhere else to load on that CBRF page (like the friggin google adds do) all this happens in a set sequence and if the script instructions are sent to load first before the content of the page and for some reason the server where the information the script is calling for is running slow , then the CBRF page waits till it loads and yer can and does take some time or hang completely sometimes ..
ok .... so now you have a headache hey mate ....

thats why I kept it simple lol And to add yea thats what sux about adding code to the likes of forum software. You have to add the code into the sections where you want said thingie to show up at, which could load first, last, in the middle, and as many of us have seen, NEVER lmao.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back when this thread was first posted, I went straight to the noscripts add-on to download it. However, the first review was really bad, so I held off...
But now that a couple guinea pigs have tried it without catastrophe, I may just go get it...LOL..

Old 02-13-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Back when this thread was first posted, I went straight to the noscripts add-on to download it. However, the first review was really bad, so I held off...
But now that a couple guinea pigs have tried it without catastrophe, I may just go get it...LOL..
Yea it can be a pita until you get it set for the sites you trust or dont have any issues with.