Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with CBR Forum? Ask. Have a suggestion to better CBRF? Tell us here. DO NOT POST QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR BIKE HERE.

WEBSITE VERY SLOW

Old 11-27-2007, 11:20 AM
biz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WEBSITE VERY SLOW

Hi,
I already sent a message to the webmaster about this but have received no reply, it has been about 5 day's since I did that. I didn't know where exactly where to ask why this website is so slow so I thought I would try here.

I am new to this list and enjoy reading the topics. The problem is that it can take up to a minute or longer to view any of the posts I click on. Sometimes more, sometimes less, usually the former.

I realize I do have dial up but this is the only site I am having trouble with and was looking to see if others have the same problem? Any help would be nice or any adjustments to whatever may need adjusted could hopefully be adjusted.

If it doesn't get any better I can't see wasting allot of time with this site if it can't get any quicker, it just takes to long to view anything compared to other forums. It has been like this since I registered week or two ago. I thought maybe just a busy internet but it isn't getting any better.

Thanks for anysuggestions or adjustments you (someone) can make to help resolve this slow process.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Users
Default RE: WEBSITE VERY SLOW

i can tell you i have no problems with the site....having developed many websites....i can't say this one is especially different to be causing you problems....

do you go to other forums? or are you comparing this forum to other "websites" (meaning non-forum based websites)...??

there are a LOT of images that load between the smileys, the icons (granted, they are all small but still), etc....but that shouldn't slow you down that much...

i would check your browser to see if you have certain things turned off or whatnot...meaning limiting certain scripts...i don't know if the site has many scripts (i am sure it's running at least a few javascripts as boards usually do).....

also, IF you are using IE 7 it has that "automatic phishing" check thing...that slows down sites a bit even on highspeed so i would imagine on dial-up it would be horrific...

bottom line...this site is no different than most forums....there is nothing so technically significant to make it slower than any other forum so i would have to say the problem is likely on your end somewhere....not pointing fingers or anything....

check out some other boards and see if you have the same problem...if you do..post up here and let me know which ones and i can run a few checks to see if there are any differences...

Old 11-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no issues here either. It maybe in routing between the site and your locale or a issue with your isp or your works network connection.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:02 PM
biz

Hi,
Thanks ffingers for the reply.Since the time Iposted this I looked at sporttouring .net, pellican parts, BMW ibmwr market place, with no problems. BMW ibmwr market place I think is a website not a forum.

I think your question asked about if it was websites or forums I was having problems with Iwould have to say I am deal with both but this forum is the one giving me trouble. This is the only site/forum I have any problems with.

The main forums I look at are Sport touring.net, pellican parts technical bbs, Speedzilla, and now this cbr forum. This is the only one I am having problems with as it runs so slow, the others seem fine.

I admit I am not computer savy and the things you mention to check is like reading japanese to me. Doesn't mean anything? All I can say is, this is the only website or forum (whatever it is) that I have problems with. It may well be on my end, and if it is I don't know how to make it any better.

I'll see what I can do or I will just quit viewing this site, despite that I do like it. Even as I type this it is spitting and sputtering as I have to wait for some the letters to come up after I type them.

Thanks again for any help. I don't want to stopenjoying it if I don't have to, it has allot of information to offer that I enjoy reading.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Retired Moderator

If you posted this in the "Help & Suggestion" category, admin probably would see it faster .. go to your profile and near the bottom there is a "Speed Options" section, check all 3 of those (don't show avatars, sigs, etc...) and see if that helps or not. The sigs for some members on this forum are a bit larger than most others but that shouldn't make too much of a difference.

what's your connection speed?
http://www.speedtest.net/

Speed Options
Don't Show Smiley Faces in posts
Don't Show Image in posts
Don't Show member's Avatar in posts

Edit: I only edited this post to uncheck the add signature box so you can view this thread faster

Old 11-27-2007, 04:26 PM
biz

Dear Kewl Breeze,
Thanks for tryin to help me, I do appreciate it. I already tried to contact the web master or whoever may be in charge of it but I was not contacted as they said they would. Maybe they didn't get it? I didn't see any help & suggestion section as you mention.

It took me 1 minute 45 seconds to view your message as I just timed it. I did go to my profile as you asked and checked the 3 boxes you suggested. I then came back to this topic to see how quick it took and it was about 30 seconds. I'll check it a few times to see if it helps.

I know I don't do this on any other forums as I don't recal seeing it as an option. I see everyones info on those forums. It may be there I just never used it as the other forums work fine for me. My connection speed is 52.0 kbps. Sometimes it is 53 kbps but I never notice any difference between the two.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:41 PM
Retired Moderator

No problem biz. I guess we'll wait for their response but to answer your question, the "Help" Section is on the main page where all the other categories are ... here's a link to it just in case you want to post your question there: https://cbrforum.com/forumid_5/tt.htm

Since changing your settings to not see images/avatars cut your time by 1/3 I'm guessing the rest is because of all the ads on the top, side, and bottom that help pay for this forum to exist so I don't think there is a way for you to not see those but I'm pretty sure that's the cause for the rest of the delay. I count 9 ad spaces plus the top banner .. out of curiosity isn't 30 seconds about the time your dial-up loads similar pages with 10 or so ads? Possibly the other boards you're comparing are the older simplified message boards that don't contain much of anything but text?

Old 11-28-2007, 02:53 AM
biz

As near as I can tell now after checking thisagain it appears to be little to no better as far as speed. thanks for the link I will try and post something there. You may have a point about all the adds. The other websites/forums I look at are what you refer to as the old style with no or few addsand mostly just text.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:06 AM

its just the ads, I have dial-up too
it takes a good bit longer to load pages on this board than most vBulletin boards I go to and its due to the ads that take a while to load as well as the header (image) plus most people on this board have a decent size sig, a lot of other forums I go tend to have much smaller or text only sigs. The WERA bbs loads a thread in about 4 seconds (over dial-up) while a thread on here generally takes 40 seconds to a minute or more so I usually just click a thread and pull up another page while I'm waiting on this one to load, definitely annoying but running a forum isn't free so ads are important and obviously people on here like their sigs and avatars so thats just how it goes

oh also, the posting/thread setups are more complex on here than the much more plain vBulletin boards I'm used to

Old 11-28-2007, 01:17 PM
biz

Thanks Woodyracing for the insight on the problem. I guess there isn't much I can do. Is there any other boards that refer to the cbr models that run faster, mainly the 1000RR. This site just takes to long to view things depite being a good site. I do like it I just can't waste this kind of time.

I will check it once and a while when I have allot of extra time, but for now I have to move on to faster sites. Everyone has been very nice on here and I am sorry I have to do this but my time is more valuable other places.

biz

PS. I know I am probably a retard but I still can't find this help & suggestion site without using the link that kewl breeze sent me. Sorry for my inadaquicy with computers and there operations. Still learning them.

I just found the help section, oop's again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WEBSITE VERY SLOW