The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

What was your first bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Started on a honda 50cc trail in the late 60's then a honda 70cc trail in the early 70's. Moved onto the road on a suzuki gt 750 two stroke water buffalo in the late 70's early 80's what a screamer. Bought a new 82 kawasaki kz 1000 ltd a very nice all around comfortable ride, was stolen in 85 and never found. Went 23 years bikeless mostly due to marriage and kids, bought a 96 cbr 1000f still working to restore it to mint, very close now, by far the best of the bunch.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:49 PM

my first real bike was a GT125suzuki before that had honda 70 and 90 step troughs with all the plastics lights taken of no key had to push start them but they were only mess abouts for the fields also had CB250N' XJ550' had a 15 year gap with no bike then went mad an got the big girl i have now

Old 06-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's interesting that there are a few of us who went a few years bikeless and the bike we chose was the mighty cbrf. I sold my GPZ1170 (Wiseco kit and other goodies) to travel, then a couple of years later couldn't resist a cheap 750 four to get me back on two wheels. After another break (kids, lack of $$) I had a break of a few years. Not a day went by where I didn't miss it! Got the cbr 3 1/2 years ago and love it.

Hawkwind: You made the right choice of bike first time! I still do the "backward glance" you mentioned every time I get off. Where I park at work I can see the old girl every time I leave my workshop, and can't resist a look. Even at my age (nearly 43) my heart beats a bit faster every time I'm about to ride..It's just in my blood! My old man dated my mum on a Matchless 500 single, and my son can't wait to ride the cbr..He'll be waiting a while yet!! Time for another look out of the workshop..

Old 06-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, it's a beauty... that's for sure. I do the same thing.
Not sure yet if I look back just to gaze at her, or if I'm looking to make sure she's ok...

Old 06-19-2009, 09:24 AM

I do the same when I take it to work, just can't help it.
I went down to Kent motorcycles the other day, its a meet up point for all the bikers (its a Honda dealership with a cafe on the side of it open till late).
There must of been 50 bikes there and the only one to draw a crowd was my old girl , funny but all the blokes that came over for a chat were all 35 plus and commented on just how well they were made and could give most things on the road a run for its money.
Its a good ride out,a bag of chips and a cuppa, talk bikes and then a good ride home. Can't think of a better way to spend a sunny evening

Old 06-19-2009, 09:58 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Sounds like a great evening out Sawnee , what times is this place open? Wouldn't mind riding over there myself if I could get away one fine evening.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:11 PM

I've only been the once but I will find out and let you know, I went on a Wednesday but I dont know how often the meets are.
I will post something up when I know more.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:44 PM
RIP "The Baron of Bronson"
Talking

I remember her like an old girlfriend. My first DIRT bike was a '78 Yamaha YZ 80. She was ugly as sin and rode like a brick. But she started 1st kick everytime and was a FAST (well fast for a 8 year old brain). I can still remember my 1st ride; the first time I learned what a clutch was and how to respect one. Here was my debut voyage instructions.

Uncle Bob: "Pull in the clutch, give it gas, push that thing down with your foot, and let the clutch go!"

Me:

Uncle Bob: Do it you'll be fine!

Me:

He neglected to say let it out slowly. I dropped that clutch like I was Jeremy McGrath. I also quickly ended up on my butt, crying to the amusement of my family.

Uncle Bob: Try again. (Still neglecting the don't drop the clutch)

Me:

I wasn't gonna let it get the best of me, so I did the SAME thing all over again. But this time held on for dear life with all the strength my 8 year old hands could hold. So I made it about 10 feet on the rear tire, running (dragging) along. Finally after this time and more tears I was explained to how a clutch worked . I was hooked for life and had many more 2 Strokers.

My 1st STREET bike was an '87 Kawasaki EX500. Kinda like a Ninja before they took off. I was 17 and still remember the look on my Mom's when I rode it up. She didn't talk to me for 2 weeks. The bike lasted 3 weeks and Mommy made me sell her. I gotta find some pics of that old girl....

Old 06-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

*****!!!

Micheal, that was great!

I'm sure every kid that ran dirt when they were young did it at least once. I think that may be what makes it so funny. I can see myself laying on the ground behind my XR80..

However, I've done it on multiple dirtbikes, even after learning how to clutch correctly. In fact, the first time I rode my XR80 (around 8yrs or so), I DIDN'T end up on my ***. I knew how to ride.
Did it a couple times later on, though. Got bucked off a Yammy 125, too....
Yep, I'm THAT good...

Old 06-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A lil Suzy

In my teens back in Dublin a little '70's vintage Suzy 90 like this

Attached Thumbnails What was your first bike?-lilsuz90.jpg