The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

What was your first bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't we have made a badass looking gang with all those cool rides! Even in those days Honda could trump the Fizzys and AP50 (the Fizzy riders nemesis!). A smart mate of mine bought an SS50 and we wondered why because everybody knew they weren't as fast...Until he told us that the C70 (these step through things) cylinder fitted straight on. He used to p!ss all over us, and his bike sounded better. There's always one isn't there? It would have been handy to have the internet to swap de-restricting and hotting up tricks but it's pretty funny to think of all that lapping and filing for a .0001% increase in horses. Speaking of horses..I've got today off and the cbr is calling me. See you later fellas.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please do not make jokes at me...but my first bike was a Honda Elite 80 cc. I trashed the poor thing, but it was good school to learn about loose mufflers, low pressure tyres and no-experience-at-all-paint-jobs

Still I loved that bike so much I still have the extra key as memorabilia.

Then I had the Elite 150, a Vespa 150 a Genesis FZR400 and the good old Colorina....great times though!!

Old 06-16-2009, 11:48 PM

Brand new, 1969 Honda Trail 50 when I was 13. Great little bike.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha ha... the old trail 50... Just like me, Randy, except mine was far from new.

I like hearing about all these old bikes. Takes me back.
Particularly liked your story, Steve! Good stuff.. I once turned an old snapper lawnmower into a cart. Chopped the top off, lowered the steering, etc.. Good times..
My cousin had a minibike with a mower engine, but he also had a moped that we fought over. I musrt have crashed that moped 100 times..

I also find it interesting that there are so many old hondas. Goes to show who has ALWAYS made the best bikes..

Old 06-17-2009, 11:58 AM

Mine was a 1967 Yamaha 100 enduro (purchased around 1975). I used it for riding in the woods and strip minds-great fun. The biggest downfall was the shape of the gas tank, it had a rather large hump right where it met the front of the seat-similar to a Honda dream. If you ran in to anything head on-trees, rocks etc., the family jewels where at great risk of being mashed bad.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:39 PM

Started riding street bikes kinda late. Had a 1974 DT100 Yamaha enduro bike but didn't own it too long tho, kept giving me problems. My first real street motorcycle was a '82 CB900 with the high,low range 5 speed. Got it back in 1988. Had no second gear when I got it. Rode it like that for about 4 months before puttin it in the shop for trans repair. What an expensive repair for back then I thought. $742.00 for them to fix counting front fork seals also. Kept it till I bought my '88 Hurricane 1k in August of '91.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff. I used to like ripping past (if you can call 50mph ripping) the restricted 50s on my old sh!tbox Fizzy. Mind you if they followed me long enough they'd find me standing next to it and scratching my head, wondering if I could free the piston up when it cooled down or not! Either that or lying on the side of the road some distance from it.

It's cool to see so many old bikes mentioned that I remember riding or racing against. I had a thrash on a GT250 with Micron pipes and a few other mods. The bloke said "don't take it over five grand in the first three gears or you'll be sorry" ..As soon as I was out of earshot I did, but I wasn't sorry! I'd have killed myself for sure if I'd jumped straight on a powerful, heavy bike at 16 or 17. Young, dumb ..you know the rest!