The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

What do you drive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012 | 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
So.... I know you all ride sweet CBRs, but what do you drive when you aren't riding?
I love cars and trucks, too, so I'm interested to know what you have and if you like it, love it, or hate it.

I have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee (4dr, 5sp, 4X4).
It's awesome. I have beaten the living chit out of it and it always comes back for more. I bought it at an auction for like $2500 in almost perfect shape with 90k miles on it. I have 145k miles on it now, and I've done nothing to it but regular maintenance (and not as much as I should). If they still made them, I'd probably buy a new one.

I also have a 1995 Toyota 4X4 pickup (automatic). I just bought it about a year ago, and I don't really like it at all. It's underpowered, cramped, and I don't really like the interior design. It has 33" tires and is lifted 3". It goes ok in 4x4, but the gas mileage sucks for for being so gutless. I've had a few mechanical/electrical problems, too. I think I'm gonna sell it this fall.

My third vehicle is my 1990 Civic Si. It's been a GREAT little car. Excellent mileage, handles well, and basically NO maintenance in the 150k miles I've owned it. It's a Honda.

My wife has a 2010 Corolla S. It's perfect for her, really. All the cool new modern chit, good gas mileage, handles ok, and looks "pretty". lol..

I like my old clunkers, though... and no car payments.

So what do you have?
I drive a 99 Cherokee 4x4 Auto with 283,000 miles on it. I'm with you on the car payments.

Old 05-21-2012 | 05:38 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by HenryM
could someone tell me WTF is going on here. A short précis will suffice. Any volunteers?
Don't tell me you can't remember!
I guess it's just a very good example of using the Saloon to ask a question? As stated by the time it goes around the world 3 or 4 times it may tend to get a little off track.

But Henry, you've been way guilty of that in the past so let's not just be to quick to adopt the moral high ground here.

Welcome back mate, I had noticed your absence, and hope you've got over your man-flu (yes I like it better with a hyphen). It's a terrible thing, keep up with the hot toddies (or totties?), I'm sure you'll be back in your previous form soon.

Old 05-21-2012 | 06:32 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

Got a '99 Volvo S80 2,5D that I like very much, but it's starting to collect a bit too much km:s and breaks down regularily... I got a bit tired to that and let it sit in my moms yard for a few months to collectg some motivation and bought myself a crap cheap Citroen Xantia 1,8i for a temp, but after driving it for two months and fitting a cruise to it I had to admit the cosmic truth that the best frenchies still comes from the grill and donated it to my wife... Still drive it though cause the S is still in thee shop getting repaired but I guess the Volvo-ism is like once you had one, nothing else feels good enough... Propably gonna keep it for a few more years and change it to something more spacy when we move to the city, kinda juggling what to get, have been thinking about a Prius, but prolly gonna lean towards an XC70...

Old 05-21-2012 | 06:37 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

oh,almost forgot! i also have a MAN TGA 18.313FLLC truck as a tool.

Old 05-21-2012 | 09:04 PM
|
Administrator - Retired

Originally Posted by robbnc
I drive a 99 Cherokee 4x4 Auto with 283,000 miles on it. I'm with you on the car payments.
Hell yeah, man. No car payments and cheap insurance is great. They'll run forever, too, but they just suck the gas down. My green '97 sport was a 5sp w/ 3.08 gearing and did ok (about 19/21mpg), but the one I have now with the auto/tow package/3.73 gearing only gets about 16mpg no matter what I do.
It sucks, so it's been semi-retired to snow/mud/towing duty. Great vehicles, though.

Originally Posted by Henry
could someone tell me WTF is going on here. A short précis will suffice. Any volunteers?
Don't tell me you can't remember!
I honestly can't remember.
Although I rarely remember everything that goes on in the saloon.
I can only imagine that there was lots of gibberish, drinking, and maybe a couple half-naked drunk girls dancing on the pool table.

Old 06-01-2012 | 03:40 AM
Banned

I've just bought a 2006 Nissan Navara which I think are called a Frontier in the USA. Awesome vehicle, 4WD, 2.5 litre turbo diesel. I needed a duel purpose vehicle that has 4WD. Now I only have one registration instead of the 2 I was running.

Old 06-01-2012 | 04:08 AM

Got the volvo back and passed MOT two days ago. Just gotta love it, nothing else in that price range can come close to how it drives, handles, sounds, even feels! Hitting the highway, aircon and cruise on, blasting good music... Best ride I've ever had...on four wheels... Bought a bag full of autogauge meters and other stuff like that to be bolted on this weekend, then propably gonna tickle the boost up a notch... Pity they don't make any bodykits to the mk1 S80...

Old 06-01-2012 | 04:29 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

Originally Posted by Mattson
Got the volvo back and passed MOT two days ago. Just gotta love it, nothing else in that price range can come close to how it drives, handles, sounds, even feels! Hitting the highway, aircon and cruise on, blasting good music... Best ride I've ever had...on four wheels... Bought a bag full of autogauge meters and other stuff like that to be bolted on this weekend, then propably gonna tickle the boost up a notch... Pity they don't make any bodykits to the mk1 S80...
You got that right - I have it's twin in same silver color - coming up on 180k
best damned car I have ever owned too.

What's your miles ?

Old 06-01-2012 | 05:38 AM

460t km. Seen some road...

Old 06-03-2012 | 07:08 AM

1990 Toyota 4x4 ext can SR5 that I bought used and abused 4 years ago. Still starts every morning (the rare occurrence that I climb in a cage) and has gotten us too work in snow that made most everyone else sit at home and wimper.

Before that it was a 2003 Mustang GT convertible that I just drove the **** out of.

Quick Reply: What do you drive?