The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

What a dilemma (part or sell whole)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a dilemma (part or sell whole)

I have decided that life is not going to let me get my 1988 Hurricane 10000 up and running like I would like to.

What I have is a one owner (me) 88 1000 Hurricane that is box stock from front to rear, top to bottom. It has been sitting for appx 10 years now, waiting on me and I am not going to ever get there. When parked it had about 27K miles on it and that is where it is today.

My problem is whether I should part it and sell it, which would leave me with parts to dispose of, or try to find someone who would take it whole and get it back on the road. It is complete, all plastic, an extra corbin seat and an extra set of carbs.

If I were to try and find someone to take it whole, what do I ask for it? If I part it, what do I ask for the parts?

So you see the dilemma? What to do ...what to do....

bob

eta: Whoops, I just saw the rules for posting FS items on the board.....whatever happens to my 'cane will have to go somewhere else. Or start posting like a madman.

Last edited by BobR; 08-08-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Add stuff to post
Old 08-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that's how it has to be, I'd try to sell it whole first that way you don't have an endless stream if d!ckheads wasting your time...nobody from this forum of course. See what the Mods say first but here would be the obvious place. Failing that, stick it on Ebay and a link will probably turn up here anyway. Does it run? That'd help your $$ no end.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:28 PM

Know the feeling. Have an old 1100f out the back that I just won't get to. Sounds like your cane would take a whole lot of nothing to get going & would be snapped up by a potential buyer. Do yourself a favor & spend a couple hours to clean up get her going with as little cost as possible. At least if she's running she's salable. Then if you still want to part company she go's as one piece to a hopefully good home. There's still a lot of people after these old girls. Also the spares you have (Corbin seat) are sought after too. How about a photo of her. That would also help.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep, get her running and sell it whole, way less headaches with all the shipping and tear-down. Photos may sell the plastic on this site. Was it running when it was parked?

Old 08-09-2010, 11:23 AM

It was running when parked. Actually, about all it would take would be new tires, flush and replace all fluids and a carb rebuild and it could be back on the road. I am still thinking of doing just that.

It may become a winter project.

Here it is with the plastic stripped off 2 years ago.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/naked-hurricane-74940/

This is what it looked like when a guy was trying to decide if he wanted to buy it in 2006. Probably one of the biggest mistakes he ever made because he was getting a killer of a deal.

Name:  100_1004-1.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  111.1 KB

Every time I look at the pics I have I just know I need to make the time and spend the money and get it back on the road for me.

bob

Old 08-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This has to be a joke! I don't understand how you don't have a few hours to install some plastics and tires on a bike in that great of shape. If you get rid of her will you be able to fine the time to build the machine that will kick you in the *** every time you think of her?

Old 08-12-2010, 01:51 AM

The pics make it look better (a little bit) than it is.

It isn't so much the time to get it running again, it is the fianancial side of things. I think I may bite the bullet and start a small stockpile of money and replace one thing at a time. Saving for the carbs will take while...but I should be able to get things done before next summer.

bob

Old 08-12-2010, 06:22 PM

Bob. It sounds to me like you're another guy who would really regret it if you sold. Why do you need to spend loads of $$? 27K miles is bugger all so the carbs probably just need a good clean. The most expensive thing I can see would be new tyres and there's no avoiding that if you want to stay upright when you get her going. Flush out the motor with some cheap oil and put some good stuff in, change the rest of the fluids and you'd be right to go. Probably need to give the tank a good clean out and change the petcock rubber (always sounds weird doesn't it?) too. It doesn't have to be in showroom condition just to ride it and have some serious fun. I need my bike for therapy! Whether it's a cruise up the highway to work or a serious thrash up the back roads with the throttle pinned wide many times it just puts a 'smile on my dial'.

Another way to look at it is; even if you aren't financial enough to fix it up and run it now, is it costing you anything just sitting there? If you sold it would the cash you got be enough to drastically change your life for the better? In two, five or ten years time would you still be kicking yourself that you'd sold it?

Do what's right for you mate but bear in mind, once you let a bike go it can be bloody hard to justify the $$ to get another one (kids, mortgage etc.). I know that for the few years I didn't have a bike I just felt incomplete!

Old 08-12-2010, 08:37 PM

Ahhhhh..... the voice of reason.

See, I knew there was a reason why I posted it here. All I needed was someone (or two or three) to slap me around (figuratively) a little bit.

Winter project it is.

I just want to get this one on the road so I can get serious about restoring my Norton.

Thanks guys.

bob

Old 08-12-2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by BobR
Ahhhhh..... the voice of reason.

See, I knew there was a reason why I posted it here. All I needed was someone (or two or three) to slap me around (figuratively) a little bit.

Winter project it is.

I just want to get this one on the road so I can get serious about restoring my Norton.

Thanks guys.

bob

You're welcome. Norton eh?? Nice! When I grow up and don't have the 'need for speed' (I mean serious speed!) I wouldn't mind something cool like that to cruise around on...after all, anything that's made in England has to be pretty good doesn't it??

Quick Reply: What a dilemma (part or sell whole)