The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Not sure what to do...rough weekend....

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure what to do...rough weekend....

I am thinking about selling my bikes. I love them. I have had a motorcycle since I was 16 years old. After loosing a friend this weekend due to a horrific motorcycle accident, I am a bit uneasy about getting back on them.

Now, I could keep them as art in my living room

or keep them stuffed away in my spare bedroom

but that would not be good for them to sit....

I have been very lucky, I have never laid down a bike hard and was able to walk away. But how much longer can my luck last?

I guess the question here is this have you lost a fellow friend/rider and how long did it take for you to get back on two wheels, if ever......

Old 12-02-2013, 09:02 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went down pretty bad in July. Guys I was riding with thought I bought the farm. Bike didn't take as much damage as I did... Took about 6 weeks to recover to the point I could ride again. Alas, I didn't have a (working) bike so I couldn't ride. In the beginning of November, I bought a 2nd bike, which I rode home. There was no hesitation whatsoever.

That's me. Everyone is different. Petrol runs in my veins so I couldn't imagine NOT riding now. My Mrs. doesn't like to hear that, though. If you unsure about what you want to do, wait. Depending on where you live, wintertime is here so wait until spring. It's never easy losing a friend, especially in an accident - but they are just that, an accident. Think to yourself, have you ever thought riding is a 'safe' sport? It's a risk we all take when we head out on 2 wheels.

If you are really worried if it can happen to you, think about taking an advanced riding course - you will learn many skills and re-gain your confidence in yourself.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear the bad news Nick. Everyone is different with different opinions.

I use to ride with my dad until he rode to the pearly gates when I was 17 years old. It never stopped me from doing what I love to do. You only have one chance at life so do what you need to do. For me its the wind in my hair. My two brothers still ride also.

I still fly in plane after one goes down and still ride in cars after watching the news every night.

Take some time before rushing into things and let the shock of loosing a close friend pass before making a decision.

Once again, sorry to hear the news my friend.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:30 AM
Welcome Crew

sorry to hear the bad new nicholas.
as said take your time before making the decision, grief isnt a nice emotion and it can take time to come to terms with, when my dad went i couldnt face boat fishing and sold all my gear a year later a mate asked me to go out with him (it took a bit of doing ) but im glad i did because it made me realise how much i enjoyed it (and the fact i had loads of happy memories of fishing with me dad), so take your time

Old 12-03-2013, 06:50 AM

Nicholas , unfortunately there is pain & grief in every loss that we experience, it's a process that we all go through and I truly feel for you. As I am going through a similar process however it does not include wheels or the instantaneous outcome.
What happens to mates does not necessarily happen to us, however what has happened has placed doubt in your mind, being risk adverse at this stage is completely understandable.
Take your time and be true to yourself, you will eventually make up your mind as to where you need to be and that decision is yours & yours alone there is no right or wrong
However trust in you own ability, as you said you have not laid a bike down hard.... That's how young riders become old ones! That reasoning doesn't need to stop now.
Regards Pete

Old 12-03-2013, 09:34 AM

Thanks guys for all the the thoughts and prayers. I am 42 years old and have been riding all my life. I know that every time I take my bike out there is always a chance that something could happen.

I cannot bring myself to sell the bikes as I am sure Matt would not want me to stop riding or sell them either.

Thanks again for all the kind words and thoughts.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:47 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

That's bad news Nicholas and it's natural to reconsider things after such a terrible shock.

If you feel unsure about riding, or things are playing on your mind, my advise would be to take a break while you consider what to do. You need your mind to be clear while riding and stuff like that in your head can't be a good thing.

Everyone else has given good advise, take your time and don't rush a decision either way. The bikes sitting idle for a couple of weeks/months, won't do them any harm.

At the end of the day, you need to do what's right for you and when the time is right, you'll know what the best thing for you will be.

Take care of yourself.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:16 AM

I'm really sorry to héar about your loss Nicholas and I certainly understand what you are going through.

I lost my best friend and a very good school friend during my first years of biking and it hit me pretty hard, especially when my best friend was coming to meet me after not seeing each other for over a year and was taken out by a truck on his way.

I didn't want to look at my bike at the time and certainly didn't even think about riding it. I spent about a month walking everywhere or getting public transport.

I eventually realised that neither of my friends would want me to give up riding because of their accidents so with a lot of trepidation got back on the bike.

It's hard to decide and we all know we are not indestructible. Just take your time and reassess how you feel after a break.

All the best.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)

First, condolences on your loss. It's hard to lose a friend and certainly can lead to thoughts of our mortality.

As said in other posts, take your time and let your emotions work themselves out.

There is a real difference riding with respect for the dangers of doing so, and riding in fear of them. Frank Herbert's line in Dune - " . . . fear is the mind killer . . ." is correct. Fear causes rational thinking to cease, something that should never happen when riding.

Give yourself time to be able to ride with respect with the danger in riding, not fear of it.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:19 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Condolences on your loss, Nick.
I'm sure we have all lost friends, be they due to bike accidents or otherwise - just look at my siggy line.................
I'm glad you've decided to keep the bikes - your friend wouldn't have wanted you to sell them if he was a motorcyclist - it's in the blood for most of us. For me, nearly 50 years now, and I still can't wait to get on the bike whenever possible.

Give yourself time to heal.

TIME

It’s often said that time will heal our hurt,
And lead us on to better memories
But tell it to the friend who is in pain,
And sure it is that he will disagree.

I can but try with words to soothe your wounds
And patch you up to face another day
But time will ease the burden and the sounds
Of anguish heard, from many miles away.

We have in life so often felt the ache
And miss the ones who leave us here, behind
To travel to a better place and make
A place for us to dream of, and to find.

So take some time, consider who is here
And give them all the love that’s in your soul,
For time will mark the passing, year by year
Of sadness and the loss you can’t control.

As days go by and dim the loss you feel
The pain will fade to gentle memory-
My words are all I have to help you heal
However well intentioned they may be.

Shadow