The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

I told you so !!! , chain links

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with you...hp, weight, whatever...that's what I meant. they don't break, they fall off (when done wrong).

On the flip side, whoever told you that you can't get a modern rivet-link chain for your wife's bike is incorrect. It's a 530 chain...perfectly standard. If you are more comfortable with the rivets (and of course you have every reason to be...they are better), you cna get one for that bike no problemo. Hope that helps...

Old 03-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think we may be talking at cross purposes again. The 530 is the same chain as I run on my bike - what I'm getting at is I can't find a quality chain here that runs a link with a clip made by the guys who build X links, or other top quality chains.
It would seem that the guys sold me a cheap chain for the old CB750, maybe because it was an older bike, and I didn't look up the numbers before hand. Thanks for that Dave. (I didn't fetch the chain myself either, a non-biker did it for me)
One thing I have always carried is a clip link under my seat just in case my rivetted chain has a problem - at least then you can join the thing and get home. That's just a legacy from doing many miles alone in foreign countries, where people don't sometimes speak English. You need to be fairly self-reliant under those conditions.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:07 PM

Oh I see..ya I misunderstood. I thought the parts guy told you that you couldn't get a chain w. a rivet link for your wife's bike.

Also, I know that this doesn't interest you at all, but for anyone who might care, you can get eother kind of master link for _almost_ every chain that is available. Not all, but close.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just like stated before, the closed side of the link needs lead the link in direction or as the chain accelerates the link slides off.

The other important thing that was not mentioned is that the clip should never be spread (like with a screwdriver for removal). When installing the clip it should be installed by placing pliers at the closed end of the clip and the far pin. When removing the clip, place the pliers on the open end of the clip and the further pin, this reduces how much the clip is spread.

Spreading the clip with a screwdriver deforms the clip and and weaken its holding power. It may pop off even though it is install in the correct direction.

I also use the master clip at times but when I do, I break in the chain before putting full power to it.

To answer the question of what can happen when the chain breaks, the worst is having the rear tire lock up. Second worse is the front sprocket under power will pull the chain and pack it into the engine case making a big hole in it.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo

To answer the question of what can happen when the chain breaks, the worst is having the rear tire lock up. Second worse is the front sprocket under power will pull the chain and pack it into the engine case making a big hole in it.
And neither of those are good fun, lol.

Gaz

Old 03-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoBrains01
And neither of those are good fun, lol.

Gaz
Well there is the Best Case scenario:

Chain breaks, gets ejected out the rear of the bike, goes thru the radiator of the cage that's been tailgating you for the last couple blocks and you coast to a halt, laughing your *** off

Old 03-22-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Well there is the Best Case scenario:

Chain breaks, gets ejected out the rear of the bike, goes thru the radiator of the cage that's been tailgating you for the last couple blocks and you coast to a halt, laughing your *** off
Is the cage that's following a Volvo because they always get the blame for all the car/bike collisions in England Even if it's not, i still prefer this scenario, lol.

Gaz

Old 03-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the cage that's following a Volvo because they always get the blame for all the car/bike collisions in England
Maybe they are to blame.
Maybe people who buy volvos do so because they can't drive, figure they are gonna wreck it, and buy into the "volvo for safety" commercials....

Old 03-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Maybe they are to blame.
Maybe people who buy volvos do so because they can't drive, figure they are gonna wreck it, and buy into the "volvo for safety" commercials....
What you rednecks got against Volvo's ? & Trout what ever became of that Blue Si project ?

Last edited by Sprock; 03-22-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What you rednecks got against Volvo's ? & Trout what ever became of that Blue Si project ?
I've got nothing against Vulvas. Quite the contrary, actually.... I love 'em.

The blue si is gonna be a black si now, I think. I have the blue paint, but test panels say pearl is gonna be a PITA.
It runs like a champ, just need some good weather and a little motivation....
BTW, you wreck that sombish, and the motor is gonna be laying in you lap. No airbags, power steering, abs, a/c, etc. None of that puzzy chit. LOL..

Quick Reply: I told you so !!! , chain links