The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

I told you so !!! , chain links

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I told you so !!! , chain links

Now i`m not one for " i told you so`s" but when people tell you everythings going to be ok ...worry! I received a text earlier today from a mate who under his own statement " that will be ok" nearly died on the way to work this morning, the reason ..........A soft link ( spring link ) in his chain on a 7R kWAKA. This is no 125cc bike this thing shifts, outside lane on the throttle the chain lets go, rips through the the bike taking out chainguard etc, luckily flinging clear of gearing and narrowly missing vehicles behind, this allowed him to bring it safely to a stop.If it had trapped in the back wheel at the sort of speed he was travelling , i dread to think of the outcome. Now like i said" i told you so " isn`t my thing but in this case i`d told him months ago these links are a temp option and chit on powerfull bikes. So my ramblings have a message, if you have one change it, if not and this happens to you...............".I TOLD YOU SO!!!" BE SAFE

Old 03-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bloody hell! I hope your mate buys a lotto ticket...Good warning for us all, cheers mate.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jesus he was a lucky man, that's a real potential for a one way ticket right there.
Great news that he has escaped. Should present him with a Gold colored Chain
Tool Riveting Kit from his Guardian Angel !

Old 03-05-2010, 07:45 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

I was thinking of asking on here , 'Has anyone snapped a chain?'

Being a newer rider , what are the consequences?

Old 03-05-2010, 08:12 AM

Consequences of a chain breaking under load?

Your Guardian Angel goes into quadruple overtime and he still may not fill the job. Best case scenario is what happened here: chain gets ejected out the rear of the bike and you coast to a halt. Buy your guardian angel a nice present.

Worse case scenario... unemployment for your guardian angel. Chain binds the rear wheel, stopping it instantly and bike gets rid of you.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:29 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

So a good idea to inspect the chain and lube it well

I guess thrashing a bike chain around at 7-8'00 rpm can be detrimental to your health

Old 03-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Seen this happen b4, hence why I always use a rivet type master link.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I snapped one going from first to second real hard at redline. That's a scary feeling. I got lucky as hell. What was even luckier is that I happened to be about 100yrds from a bike shop when it happened. I coasted in and told them I'd be back in 2 days with a new chain and sprockets. It was the stock chain as far as I could tell. The bike only had like 14k on it, and everything looked fine.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by hawkwind
So a good idea to inspect the chain and lube it well

I guess thrashing a bike chain around at 7-8'00 rpm can be detrimental to your health
It only takes a couple seconds to look over the master link on your chain

It only takes a couple seconds for the chain to cause your death because you didn't.

You should be at least visually inspecting your chain before you sit on the saddle

Old 03-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always oil the chain once a week and give it a bit of a clean and a look at( i use the bike everyday ,it is my car,van, taxi all rolled into one ),,, but since this happened to my mate i have become a bit more paranoid. D.I.D all the way for me , heard " grave " reports regarding Triple S chains. I don`t know what other people on here use but you can`t skimp on such an important piece of the bike, my mate was just lucky.

Quick Reply: I told you so !!! , chain links