The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

I told you so !!! , chain links

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

YEP DID here x ring , clean oil and inspect once a week................very cheap life insurance

Old 03-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gold X link chain for me - I've heard a story about a chain that broke and seized - killed the rider when it whipped up and hit him in the body..................

Old 03-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RK Gold X here. I've had no problems with them, and for like $150-$160 with brand name steel sprockets, there's no reason to look elsewhere. I never understood why you'd want to get no name chains and sprockets to save $30.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the chain break, or did the clip master fall out?

If the chain broke, it was either defective or affected badly by chemical exposure or some such (battery overflow dripping is the #1 culprit). A 7R, nor a CBR of any kind, etc. is capable of breaking a chain if everything is in proper working order. I've got a 185hp 2009 GSXR1000 racebike in my garage at the moment (prepping it for racing with a friend...not mine) and it's got a 520 chain on it, just like every other race bike pretty much. No way is a 530 or bigger getting broken by a bike w. 60% or less, of that hp.

The moral of the story: make SURE your chain is in good repair...they don't just magically break. Also, 99.9% of the time when a clip master falls off it's because it was never installed properly in the first place. Rivet masters do a good job obviating this problem for sure. If you're installing a clip one though, make _sure_ the clip is FULLY SEATED in the groove, then clean off the outer surface of the link and clip and silicone it. Do this and it will not come off accidentally.

Let's be careful out there!

Old 03-08-2010, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
RK Gold X here. I've had no problems with them, and for like $150-$160 with brand name steel sprockets, there's no reason to look elsewhere. I never understood why you'd want to get no name chains and sprockets to save $30.
Would you post up where you can get any premium X-Ring chain and both name brand sprox for that money? I'll order tomorrow just to have them around.You're right...if the stuff is available at that price I'm with you. I've never been able to come close to that pricing though, so I buy the cheaper stuff.

In all the years I've been riding I've never been able to tell the difference between a basic o-ring chain and a high-buck "premium" chain, except on a race bike (some of the racing o/x ring chains have less rolling resistance and weigh less).

Old 03-08-2010, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow
Gold X link chain for me - I've heard a story about a chain that broke and seized - killed the rider when it whipped up and hit him in the body..................
Ya a failed/unlinked chain is no joking matter at speed for sure. Gotta keep 'em maintained!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would you post up where you can get any premium X-Ring chain and both name brand sprox for that money?
Sure, dude. Just ordered 'em.
Rear Sprocket JT HERE
Front Sprocket HERE
Chain HERE

Looking back, if you want the gold it's gonna cost $169 total. With the regular RK X-Ring it's $154.
Still not bad.

Compared to THIS....

You can always do sprocket center, too. The DID kit with steel sprockets is $193.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:53 PM

[quote=dietDrThunder;890767]Did the chain break, or did the clip master fall out?

The spring link gave up. I don`t know if it was neglect or a unlucky event such as a random stone etc, but one things for sure it wouldn`t have happened if it was a rivet link. Your right the power of the bike doesn`t really count towards the breakage, but stick this on anything bigger than a 125 and i wouldn`t ride it....................ride safe

Old 03-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=marcbr;890963]
Originally Posted by dietDrThunder
Did the chain break, or did the clip master fall out?

The spring link gave up. I don`t know if it was neglect or a unlucky event such as a random stone etc, but one things for sure it wouldn`t have happened if it was a rivet link. Your right the power of the bike doesn`t really count towards the breakage, but stick this on anything bigger than a 125 and i wouldn`t ride it....................ride safe
The main reason spring links cause problems is because some people fit them the wrong way around. Looking at the top of the chain the closed end of the spring clip must be at the front. I know this is obvious but people still fit them the wrong way, then the chain gets a bit loose and off it comes. I use a good quality, heavy duty 'o' ring chain with a rivet link for my peace of mind. Your chain deserves as much respect as the tyres and brakes. Any one of them ****es up and you can be cactus real quick!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seen an EK chain setup out there with a funky self riveting screw type of master link

Anyone know anything about 'em or used 'em ??

link here for an example

One other question .....more out of curiosity .....anyone ever run a 520 on an F ? is there a kit ?

Last edited by Sprock; 03-08-2010 at 10:22 PM.

Quick Reply: I told you so !!! , chain links