The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

I told you so !!! , chain links

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

re: epoxy, not silicone...

I don't use chain lube on o-ring chains, but even so, no proper chain lube will affect the silicone. My personal favorite is Shoe Goe...exactly the right tenancity for this kind of application (maybe even a little too much tenacity even), and easy to remove. Epoxy seems like we're getting into way overkill, but I'm sure it works.

re: the safety wire...ya, this is actually what I do on race bikes (then with silicone over it all) the times I've used clips (usually involves an emergency un-planned-for gearing change). A clip, properly seated, wired, and siliconed is as safe as a a rivet IMO...will never come off.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by VeryMotley
This thread, and the people, is the reason I keep coming back. It is also the reason I mostly read and never get to write. Thanks for the great info.
Dave--- My "friend" has a clip master link. looks like it is seated correctly, Where do I....... er....he put the silicone.

Ok it is me.
haha
Patrick

You just blob a bead of it right over the while clip/link...like, cover the while clip. Also, silicone and chain lube is a perfectly fine combination. In fact, more than one o-ring chain OEM uses silicone-based o-rings on the chains.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:54 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dietDrThunder
In fact, more than one o-ring chain OEM uses silicone-based o-rings on the chains.
100% dead right there Doc, a good few of them have common o-ring
suppliers too

Old 03-14-2010, 01:04 PM

Didn't think it would be your bike Sprock, but i had to ask as if it was i'd have had an awesome time giving you some grief, lol.

Gaz

Old 03-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoBrains01
Didn't think it would be your bike Sprock, but i had to ask as if it was i'd have had an awesome time giving you some grief, lol.

Gaz
Never gonna happen GAZ , I'm not the sensitive caring type

Old 03-15-2010, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sprock
Never gonna happen GAZ , I'm not the sensitive caring type
One day my friend, one day, lol.

Gaz

Old 03-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I really don't care what you use to hold the clip on - I won't be using one except on my wife's old 750 CB Custom. That will be epoxied. It's purely a personal issue, but I'd never use a clipped link on a bike as heavy as a 1000F. Race bikes, about which I know less than nothing - maybe different.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:42 AM

I much prefer the old clip on links. The rivet links are too hard to get on and off. I can have a clip on or split link as we call them on in 30 seconds.

What does it matter what power your bike has, i use one on my tuned GSXR1000

Gaz

Old 03-16-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow
I really don't care what you use to hold the clip on - I won't be using one except on my wife's old 750 CB Custom. That will be epoxied. It's purely a personal issue, but I'd never use a clipped link on a bike as heavy as a 1000F. Race bikes, about which I know less than nothing - maybe different.
Like I said, I wasn't saying that people should use them...I was just saying that when done properly, they are not unsafe.

re: heavy bike: the weight of the bike doesn't enter into it. When the links fail, it's due to improper installation, not breaking (unless chemicals got on it or whatever). Your wife's CB750 is no more or less safe with a clip link than any other bike.

Racebikes are only different in that they have far more stress and strain on the chain than any street bike.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:52 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

By "heavy" I was referring to horsepower, not weight - sorry, local language got in the way.
Here in SA, the only chains which come out with clip links are for smaller capacity bikes, or really old bikes and the chains themselves are not of a quality I would fit to my bike. I was told that the only chain available for the old CB750 had a clip link..., so despite my misgivings that's what I bought. I haven't fitted it yet.............
If I could find a clip link for a gold x link chain it would certainly be easier to fit. Maybe I'm just set in my ways, and don't like them....................
It's all academic in the end. You'll fit what you like, and so will I. I'm speaking under correction, but I don't think any of the guys here would fit a clip link. I'll ask them Saturday............................

Quick Reply: I told you so !!! , chain links