The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

I told you so !!! , chain links

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 02:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Sure, dude. Just ordered 'em.
Wow that is some awesome bargain hunting for sure! I'll save those sellers for next time around.

re: the spring links: Ya the direction is 100% important. Also, if you clean the link then use silicone adhesive over it (shoe goo is awesome for this...really) not only wil it never come off, you'll have a hell of a time removing it when it's time.

I'm not advocating the use of the clip links...the rivet is clearly a superior technology and safety advancement. I'm just saying that when done properly, the clip links work fine. Think of it this way: people were riding bikes for decades before rivet links first came out, and yet there was no epidemic of chains flying about. Personally, I've got over 200,000 miles on clip links and never lost one.

Again, not saying to us it over a rivet, just saying you can.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sprock
One other question .....more out of curiosity .....anyone ever run a 520 on an F ? is there a kit ?
I haven't, but if you're lucky, maybe a CBR600F2/F3 sprocket set cross-references. If it does, then you're in luck...100% for sure you can get 520 chains for those bikes.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:43 AM

Lucky escape i say, thank god

I actually had a chain snap on me many years ago. I was riding a 1981 Suzuki X7 (not sure if they were called that in the states, the 2 stroke naked flyer of the 80's) and my chain snapped at about 70mph and wrapped around the rear sprocket locking my back wheel. Luckily i was on a straight dual carriageway and i've ridden motorcross bikes so i don't mind the odd slide, lol. I managed to keep it sliding in a straight line until just before it stopped and as i tried to turn it towards the kerb i nearly fell off, lol. If i'd been going round a corner at the time it would have been a 70mph highside and very painful.

D.I.D X ring all the way for me now, and of course a rivet link
Be safe out there guys

Gaz

Old 03-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default hmmmm

Originally Posted by dietDrThunder
I haven't, but if you're lucky, maybe a CBR600F2/F3 sprocket set cross-references. If it does, then you're in luck...100% for sure you can get 520 chains for those bikes.
That's interesting there DOC, must check that out

Old 03-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Talking

This thread, and the people, is the reason I keep coming back. It is also the reason I mostly read and never get to write. Thanks for the great info.
Dave--- My "friend" has a clip master link. looks like it is seated correctly, Where do I....... er....he put the silicone.

Ok it is me.
haha
Patrick

Last edited by VeryMotley; 03-12-2010 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Short term memory loss
Old 03-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

C'mon Motleyman, we know y'all reeds gud but yourn writting ain't so hot an all...
Get some epoxy for that link, not silicon - silicon and chain grease - not a good pairing....

Old 03-12-2010, 10:26 AM

It was gud before I add the people.......Damn People!!!!!!!!! And I thought you would think I was dumb for my chain, not my grammar.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:08 PM

+1 epoxy

and lightly grind/rough up with a dremel too so the epoxy has something to grip when it cures

and maybe safety wire it too if you are stubborn enough to still go with a clip link

Old 03-12-2010, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sprock
+1 epoxy

and lightly grind/rough up with a dremel too so the epoxy has something to grip when it cures

and maybe safety wire it too if you are stubborn enough to still go with a clip link

That's quite sad if you actually went out to the garage and wired your split link, and then took a picture just to extract the urine on a forum, tell me you didn't? lol.

Gaz

Old 03-13-2010, 11:21 AM

Borrowed PIC GAZ , for a what is possible if one insists on doing it routine , check the properites of the image location........as in where I linked the image in from.

example

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/7...tywirednx2.jpg

or

Nicer Example

Not all pics you see on here are from members photographs .....they are merely
linked in from elsewhere on the internet........just an FYI

I run as previously stated a GOLD DID XRING VM 2 with fully riveted master link.

No bicycle chain links here

Last edited by Sprock; 03-13-2010 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: I told you so !!! , chain links