The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Hot weather riding gear?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Hot weather riding gear?

A while ago we had a thread about cold weather gear but over here, in sunny Australia, it's getting pretty f'n hot now! What do you guys, who live in hot climates, wear that offers good protection but doesn't cook you like a boil in the bag chook?

I always wear my Draggin jeans and my steel cap work boots, I've got summer gloves, but my jackets cook me. The textile one I wear in Winter is still too hot even with the liner out and another lighter one that Mr. Honda sent me for free due to a long wait for fairing parts, has no padding or armour of any kind. My 'Lewis Leathers' jacket that I've had for 23 years is also f'n hot. It's a real p!sser if anything spoils your enjoyment when you're out for a ride, and being roasted alive definately is a downer.

So anybody got one of those perforated leather jackets or found anything safe but cool. I'm a big fan of leather...the smell..the feel..sorry , because it's literally saved my skin a couple of times, but **** it's hot.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:44 PM
November 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steel caps?????Cmon Dave you know thats a no-no

Jackets are a problem though,stayin cool & being protected.
I only wear "Rjays" leathers,have a Daytona one for Summer,light weight,with armour,does the job even on a hot day.Footy shorts under the Leather pants,yup cool enough,stops the heat rays from the Motor on a 5-6 hour ride.

Any dark/black gear & your gonna ROAST regardless............Says he who wears a Shoie Diablo

http://www.motorcyclemart.com.au/pic...5/730865-1.jpg

Last edited by cbrsixpack; 12-03-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:58 PM

[QUOTE=cbrsixpack;862480]Steel caps?????Cmon Dave you know thats a no-no

Yeah, but they are lace ups .

Old 12-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ EXACTLY what I wear in the heat, steve.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mesh Jacket with Kevlar & with light armor.........if 90F(32+ C) with a mesh jacket
you need to sustain good speeds to stay cool........an insulated ice pack at the base of
rear your neck works good for about 40 minutes of riding..........mind over heat .

But for us here right now .......the absolute oppisite.

I just got gear yesterday the Jacket (real leather bike jacket) weighs near 20 pounds

Pants a bit lighter but good....may need some hip pads added in

Black ....... Gimme Sunshine ....... LOL

Last edited by Sprock; 12-03-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:47 PM
November 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some one had to do it...............Summer riding Gear.........

Borat Mankini Swimsuit

Old 12-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, all these years of riding & I never wore any real riding gear except the helmet & in the cooler weather just wore my regular leather jacket. But was recently thinking about getting some real gear eventually, not that I need it here in the year round desert.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:41 PM

Jeez sixpack, you're right though..somebody did have to do it

I've been looking around a bit and found a couple of jackets that might fit the bill. The Motodry Summer jacket has air mesh, a removable wet weather liner and armour in elbows, shoulders, back. It'd be written off in a crash but who cares really. It's only $189 AU too so won't break the bank. Whan that's that? Christmas present...maybe even an early one??? Great idea fellas KATH...HEY KATH..the fellas just had a great idea .

Might go and look at one 'cos getting cooked is sh!tting me. If I just duck down the road I'll give the jacket a miss too sometimes, but if I go for a 'proper' ride (fast ) I just don't feel right. I read once that skin lasts one foot at 30 mph on the average road . I slid down the road once in my first leather jacket and, although it was pretty facked up, I was ok. Textiles have come such a long way in that time (26 years or so) that they're probably not too far behind leather.

Sixpack, that might be riding gear but it sure aint for riding bikes

Old 12-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the spirit, Rob!! The....... MANKINI!!
Aaah yes, I remember the first time I whipped out the mankini here. That was on Nevada, I believe? LOL..
I bring you such nice things and still no love.

Dave, I think leather is definitely the way to go. Textiles have come a long way for sure, but many of the cheaper ones are made of Poly (obviously not good when you're sliding on the pavement). Sometimes they can actually be worse than less because they'll melt right into your skin. Nylons are the way to go (good kevlar much better if you're a rich man). Most of the nylons are Cordura stuff. Ok with armor, but not to be confused with good leather (even after all these years), but much better than nothing.

Quick Reply: Hot weather riding gear?