The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Hi Viz Gear & apparently other stuff too :-)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 06:15 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Found my bucket of popcorn .........looking like a great week-end already

hmmmm very good points there Classic kinda the way I see it too reckon you are spot on with the treat everyone on the road as your enemy and you won't need neon fabric to try and get noticed !

Old 09-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have neon yellow rain gear with wide reflective striping.
We have to wear ansi class 2 where I work, so it was convenient (and free).

I don't wear it unless it's raining or freezing, but I don't blame people for wearing it all the time. Cagers are somewhat tuned in to the neon yellow color, and if it helps one person to see you... then it did it's job, imo.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Many of the riders here have a vest with yellow reflective tape - same as that worn by road workers- which they wear over their normal road gear. As for a jacket covered in yellow - not for me- in rainy weather or foggy conditions I've been tempted to wear the vest on occasions. I figure - what the h....l if it catches the eye of a motorist that I didn't see, it's worth it. Vigilance is still, for me my best friend...............
Neon yellow helmets which glow in the dark are all the rage here now. While they have a place, not on my head, not yet

Old 09-17-2011, 02:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sprock
Hi Viz : more for the adventure sport types or what ??
I think it depends on the colour of your bike as to whether the high vis stuff is worth getting. Mine's Honda red at the front and white at the back so I'm pretty right...of course, if my bike was grey (silver even ) I'd probably kit up with the high vis stuff

Seriously though, with twin headlights on all the time and riding as if everybody is trying to kill you, I don't see the need to wear the high vis gear.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:46 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Local Finnish brand gear called "MP-Asu" (MC-gear) That has black/orange colouring and Hi-vis reflector stripes on the seams. I done a test years ago when I told my friend to walk a dark road with my jacket on so far that I can`t see him and pointed a weak flashlight at him. DANG, the thing totally lit up! The reflectors almost seemed to gather the light and send it back straight at you. It`s ten or so years old now so I figured I should buy a new one now that I have my first "real" bike. I drive a big lorry-truck (MAN TGA18.313) at work so I usually have my work pants on when I drive to work, and they have partially yellow hi-vis/reflector legs. My driving pants dont have any kind of shields so I usually use them only when cold as they are so well padded you could drive, and have too, a snowmobile with them. Don`t care to fry my nuts in the summer... I have a spare yellow hi-vis vest in the truck that I planned to tuck in the vast,vast storage compartment of my f2. That`s about all it can carry... We have dark spring and fall mornings here so it could be a good idea to have additional hi-vis gear on you in case the bike breaks and you`re stranded on some curvy forest-road. The part of Finland that I live in is also totally littered with lakes so it`s often foggy too when I drive to work at around 4:30-5:30am.

And yeah, I also drive a Volvo S80 when on all fours

EDIT: I have noticed too, that the only type of riders that use a hi-vis vest while riding are the custom/cruisers. Use one on a sprt bike and it quickly turns into a paraglider...

Old 09-17-2011, 09:16 AM

Good points Mattson....like I said my place of work just gave me one too ....
I'm responsible for all the technology that goes into police cruisers and very occasionally
end up working roadside.....so their new policy is reflective Hi Viz for anyone out on the
street after a recent accident injured personnel...obviously not in summer

AND Dave .......... get some ya know you want to and we'll be gentle

Old 09-17-2011, 09:38 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

obviously not in summer
Why ? Don't you have accidents in summer ?
Or is the stuff not suited to summer temps, in which case someone boobed.?

Old 09-17-2011, 03:12 PM

No because we're on vacation ....silly ....*****

We just got 'em so maybe we'll get high viz vests for the summer
wouldn't that be special !

Originally Posted by Shadow
obviously not in summer
Why ? Don't you have accidents in summer ?
Or is the stuff not suited to summer temps, in which case someone boobed.?

Quick Reply: Hi Viz Gear & apparently other stuff too :-)