The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Engine surgery- Parts recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:43 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You two sound like a story I heard once,
A salesman who fancied himself as a ladies-man, was standing in front of the desk of a good looking, secretary.
She mentioned to him that his fly was undone - so he says
"So you've seen the Ferrari, Huh - Big, powerful and expensive"
She smiles and says -
"Nope, all I saw was a mini with two flat tyres"

Old 10-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Sprockaholic;851850]Dremel........hee hee hee..........what happens if someone shows up with say a
chainsaw .........okay overkill.........say a wooden spoon from the Kitchen ????

I have to say Sprock, I went to bed pissing myself about that last night. I woke up this morning and laughed out loud again.
I've been grinding out me broken studs today and still laughing. It's nice to have such little things to please such little minds but anyway, I'm sleeping with the Dremmel under my pillow again tonight. It's all hot now. I may have to use one of the special attachments later on, when all the lights are out. Te he......bzzzzzzzzzzzz.
And keep those wooden spoons pointing down when you carry them. Bloody dangerous things!!!

Old 10-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Attach the spoon to the dremel and you'd have a weapon of mass destruction.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Attach the spoon to the dremel and you'd have a weapon of mass destruction.

There ya go stirring the chit again Dylan

Henry ......never mind the Dremel ..........you need a "crash course" from Classic
on uploading pics man..........hee hee.........plus it would be nice to see your
work on the motor .........some of it might make a good how to write up

Pete ........LOL Mini two flat tyres..........heh heh

Last edited by Sprock; 10-27-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:26 PM

I'm sitting at work right now doing a bit of a graveyard shift and sketching up a hand carved love Dremmel. Similar in principle to a Welsh love spoon except this is a spoon that kicks ***. Um.... well it might at least polish *** a bit.....

I got that damned pic up at last. Don't worry, there's going to be a write up on this motor overhaul. Wouldn't want to let you all down on that. Just trying to squeeze some time to do it. Hopefully get it open on Sunday but there's a funeral to prepare for on Tuesday so even that might be a bit over optimistic. What were you saying about patience or did I just imagine that?
Hey, here's the lump... and my engine just gagging to be pulled apart.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Administrator - Retired

You look like you're angry and you want to hurt someone.
So what's the vaseline for? Are you gonna love spoon the motor? It is on it's side, you know...
Is that gonna be part of the write-up? I sure hope not.

But seriously, I'm lookin' forward to the ovehaul. Let us know how you make out with everything... and I hope it all goes ok for you, man....including the "other" stuff.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now there's a Halloween Photo op' right there ............LOL

Geezuz Henry youv'e got that half crazed KilgoreTout look about ya ............

Seen that look plenty of times before .............hee hee hee.......right Dylan ??

Well we had some action here tonight .....4 fire engines .....neighbors chimney
was a flame thrower..........nothing to serious.

Hey looks like ya got all the studs got ground out huh ??

Old 10-30-2009, 05:11 AM

You lot are frightening observant. Must remember to keep my toiletries out of sight in future shots. Hope I won't need to use the love spoon.
Now Trout you have raised an interesting point here. The engine is on its side? Well, for grinding out exhaust studs this is most appropriate but I have been considering how best to position it for the major work.
I will need to drop out the cams and tensioner so access through the rocker cover will be essential. I will need to remove the crank shaft but hopefully not the gear train so the engine will need to be upside down.
I've thought about making a sort of pivoting stand using the engine mount holes to hold it up but that will need to be a strong construction and stable as f*** if I'm to avoid that heavy beast falling on me. It is scarily heavy once you get it out of the frame. Like I said, 1 1/2 times my weight.
I'm going to ponder. Anyone ever seen a bike engine stand? I'd be interested to hear.
When we did engines in the shop it was always on a bench using blocks or whatever to support it appropriately but there's always room for improvement.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw one once that had an arrangement almost like a pivot bar which allowed the engine to rotate on an axis, allowing you to work on it at any angle. I don't remember how it attached to the engine though, sorry. It had a triangular frame work with the pivots at the top of each of two triangles, bolted together.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:01 PM
Administrator - Retired

Shadow, you're talking about a regular engine stand, right? The one's that just bolt to where the bell housing bolts would go.
I've used a couple of those before. Very nice. You can pull up a stool and go to town.

The problem with moto engines is that you can't bolt them on like a regular motor....no bell.
I suppose you could rig something up to attach to a regular engine stand that would bolt to the motor mounts. You'd have to probably weld it, though.
They make moto stands, but they're expensive. You can get a regular stand for like $50 or so. $20 worth of steel and I bet you could make it work with some cutting and welding. Hmmm....

Quick Reply: Engine surgery- Parts recommendations