The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Engine surgery- Parts recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me just fess up right now. I hate doing mechanical work on my transportation. I get get behind the consmetic and ergonomic stuff, but just fixing it blows. I have so many bad memories from my teens.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems like fixing stuff out of desperation is the worst.

Plus, it helps when you actually like the vehicle you're working on...lol..
If it's a POS that you've always hated anyway, it sucks. I've had a couple cars/trucks that I would have liked to push off a cliff instead of fixing.
Usually not Hondas, though.
My sister had a grand-am that I wanted to set fire to. One of those "quad 4" pieces of chit. Electrical problems, head problems, sensor problems, etc.

I had a ford tempo I wanted to take out back and shoot, too. I got so pissed at it one day that I punched the center of the steering wheel while I was driving. Didn't help much, though, because then it wouldn't shift AND the horn was stuck on.
(I had to pull over in rush hour traffic and I ripped the whole horn assembly off the steering wheel....wires and all) lol...

Old 10-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1 There's a 1000F engine on e-Bay UK Henry - didn't sell for 199 GB.........
2 Do you have any tips on making sure studs don't seize up in their holes? Perhaps I'll just have to remember to loosen them off a bit every few months and then retighten.
You could use copaslip grease - works well with heat...............won't seize again.
FWIW

Old 10-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Item 2.........I use a specialized marine thread sealant .......a loctite product

Old 10-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At work, we use regular Permatex Anti-Seize. We generally use the copper-based stuff, and they say it's good to 1600F on the website.
They also offer a nickel based product that's range is even higher (2400F).
I don't remember ever using it, though.. but the copper works good enough.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

I've found an anti seize suitable for use on blast furnaces. I guess that should be good for an exhaust stud. I'll let you know how well it lives up to its promise in a years time.

Trout, I laughed at your story of dropping a head though your radiator. it mace me think of my friends father who used to be a ships engineer. he carried the cylinder head of one cylinder up to a bench, put it down with a bit of a thud only to realise he had trapped a ******** between it and the bench. Not sure if there's a word to describe how that must feel.

Anyway, today I've been out buying drill bits, dremmel, diamond burrs and stuff I'd rather not have to be messing about with but I'm going to do the messy, swarfy stuff before I open her up.
Took a drive through the autumn landscape down to the sea today. Forgot all about engines.
Taking Tuesday off work to progress. Looks like you guys have been busy since I've been gone. Grin

Old 10-25-2009, 05:12 PM

J,
It's funny, I'm just not into cosmetics. I often think I should be but if it looks ok I'm happy. If it works and looks ok I've achieved nirvana. Nearly had it for while. Never seems to last though does it.
Mind you, a couple of months ago I did a complete number on the head & turbo of my old Volvo and that's going like a trooper but I wouldn't stick it in a beauty contest. It's just a very fast van really. Do what you're good at. I look forward to some grooming tips.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:28 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HenryM
Trout, I laughed at your story of dropping a head though your radiator. it mace me think of my friends father who used to be a ships engineer. he carried the cylinder head of one cylinder up to a bench, put it down with a bit of a thud only to realise he had trapped a ******** between it and the bench. Not sure if there's a word to describe how that must feel.
Hey Henry , your friends dad wasn't called Ivor Bollockoff' was he??

Old 10-25-2009, 05:34 PM

Nothing so onomatopoeic. The afflicted ******** had many pet names during its de-swelling phase so I'm told.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nutley ?

Quick Reply: Engine surgery- Parts recommendations