The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Dogs..so many of 'em it must be a hobby!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 03:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dogs..so many of 'em it must be a hobby!

Happy Friday everyone (regardless of timezone differences). So I'm noticing a few pics and references of, and to, dogs now and then. Another one of my joys in life is my hounds, how about you lot? I've got four of them at the moment and, although they cost a sh!tload to keep, I wouldn't be without them. In the pack there's a Doberman 7yrs, a border collie 3ish, and two Bull Terrier x Red Cattle Dogs about 14 months or so.

Recently one of the pups got into the shed (kids left the doors open) and ate rat baits..see you later $570. Two weeks later the same dog got hit by a black snake..see you later $1200!!. The only one of my hounds I've looked for is the Doberman (he's my third one), the rest are ring ins. The Border Collie wandered into the school where I'm the groundsman / mr. fix it and walked straight into my daughter's classroom. I got him in my workshop and rang the council, asking them what would happen to him if nobody claimed him. They told me three days and "the green dream"..no ****, when I was on the phone the dog had his head on my lap, and was looking me in the eye! He's been here for a couple of yesrs now and, to get him away from me, he'd have to be pried from my dead hands!

The pups were dumped in someone's yard and were at an animal nursery where we went to buy some more chickens. The young bloke and I had chosen one (we'd already decided we could house one more), but when we turned around my wife and daughter had a second one out of the cage..they're both doing fine..

Right now the Doberman and the Border Collie are crashed out on the floor next to me even though the wood heater in the other room must be a better place to be.

Is anybody else this soft??

Old 07-24-2009, 04:55 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh from what I see with our compadres on here Dave there's plenty of people soft on the
pooches. My 2 are house Doggies so don't get into too much mischief the worst
I've seen is the after effects of them eating the kids crayons........mutil colored chit....
with the words Crayola down one side.........dead giveaway......dunno what it is they
love those wax crayons........as for expenses the max cab fare home is 500 / dog
after that it's a one way trip. ('Cause that's nearly two sets of rubber for the bike ! )

Old 07-24-2009, 06:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sprock, I get what you mean about the "one way ticket" but a couple of years ago we lost a dog to an Eastern Brown Snake. We humans left for the day and all was fine, when we got home she was dead by the house. This dog was a Wolf Hound X Bull Arab, 55kg at a year old and strong as an ox. She was a gentle giant and loved the kids bigtime. We found the snake the next day, dead under the kids' trampoline! They are the second most deadly land snake, after the Inland Taipan. In the fight we figure it was a draw, but better her than one of the kids! We know it was a Black Snake that bit the pup recently because we found it dead..also by the trampoline.. No ****!

Around here it's not the two legged types you need to worry about as far as safety goes. If I'd let the pup die and then found the snake it would have bothered me forever.

My last Doberman was the best snake dog. He used to do a weird bark that he never used for anything else. I'd grab a shotgun and leg it outside to find him with a Brown Snake baled up and striking at him. He was way too smart to take it on but used to just hold it there until I got to it. I could tell him to back off, then blast it. I don't like killing stuff except for food and leave the snakes alone out in the paddocks, but in the house yard they're just too dangerous with the kids around.

Dogs are cool...but expensive in large numbers. We sleep easy though and don't need to lock the doors at night. If some fool tried to break in here, all I'd find would be the boots!

Old 07-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Default well dave

T'aint as treacherous up here in Maine, this time of year all we get in my
yard are snapping turtles which move too slow to catch a dog but always
have to warn the kids to watch 'em cause if they snap ya ........yer done
for.....snap akids leg right off.

In winter on the other hand Coyotes are the issue we back up on to
conservation land and in winter the Deer come down from the hills and
graze my back yard a lot of times...............follwed by Coyotes...........
So we don't let the doggies wander then or leave them out as bait on
a line either ..................Coyotes make good target practice though.

A few neighborhood cats and small dogs went missing last winter from Coyotes , s'how things are in Maine

Old 07-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dave, we have black snakes here, too, but they are the harmless "black rat snake" variety.
I leave them alone for the most part, but if I see a poinsonous snake anywhere (and I don't see many at all), I blast it's ****. No question at all.
Hell, I'm even tempted to blast 'em at the zoo in their cages... lol..

My border collie is such a great dog, too. I like him a lot. He's gentle with kids, he's obedient, and he has quite the personality. I'd be very sad to lose him.
I've grown up with dogs all my life, but my wife never had one. She's worse than me, I think. The border collie is quite the charmer... lol..

I've seen is the after effects of them eating the kids crayons........mutil colored chit....
Sprock, last summer I was mowing the lawn and discovered money. Yep, dollar bills everywhere. Apparently the retriever discovered a stack of about 6 one dollar bills and decided they'd be a nice snack. lol..

Old 07-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Default 6 chewed bucks

Trout .......can't be too choosey sometimes- that'd be nuff for a six
of Natural Lights or Pabst or some other top notch watery brew

Old 07-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To some of us our dogs are part of the family.
My little dog Louie is the greatest!!! I try to take this little guy everywhere with me. I adopded him from the pound about 3 years ago as a 9 month old puppy. I thought he would keep growing, but he stopped at abut 50 pounds. Kinda small for a male lab, but the energy level makes up for size. He has been a handfull, but everyone loves him now. Early on I had to work with him sooooo much, but now when we get around other dogs I realize just how well behaved he is.
Since he isnt allowed on my CBR here is a pic of him riding with me on my Jet Ski. He has his own life jacket just to keep the law off us.

I know this is a lot of pics, but I love my little dog!!!

Old 07-24-2009, 12:00 PM

Awesome Dog there Steve

Old 07-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, very cool dog...
Looks like he loves the jet-skis, alright!

That is kinda small for a lab, but not too far out there.
My border collie weighed 73lbs las time I weighed him...lol... he weighs more than my golden retriever.
He's not fat... just big boned.. LOL..

Old 07-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey CBR STEVE can you teach my dogs to bring me a mouth full of cash like yours.Thats a good dog..lol

I have four American Pit Bulls. They are all big babies and spoiled rotten. 2 males and 2 females. I drop about $200 a month of dog food. The oldest male "Buster" travels with me as I drive truck for a living. I think it is funny that everyone thinks he looks mean, but if you can get past his bark he's going to help you steal what ever you want..lol
bing and hony[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]busterName:  buster.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  24.9 KBName:  ginger.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  24.5 KBginger

Last edited by white_knuckled08; 07-24-2009 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Dogs..so many of 'em it must be a hobby!