The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Dogs..so many of 'em it must be a hobby!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 05:54 PM
October 2009 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got three of them, a very rare breed called Swedish Lapphund. Origins from alleged 8000 years ago, when the hunting people populated Scandinavia after the latest ice age. The Laponian people have been using them as hunting, herding and guarding dogs. There is about 1300 of them in Sweden, 500 in the rest of Scandinavia, and 3 in U.S, 2 in U.K, 3 in France, 2 in Holland and 2 or 3 in AUS!
They are sometimes referred to as "The hidden Black Gold of Sweden"

Attached Thumbnails Dogs..so many of 'em it must be a hobby!-all3.jpg   Dogs..so many of 'em it must be a hobby!-virkos.jpg   Dogs..so many of 'em it must be a hobby!-saiva.jpg  
Old 07-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we all have a soft side dont we

Attached Thumbnails Dogs..so many of 'em it must be a hobby!-att504551.jpg   Dogs..so many of 'em it must be a hobby!-att504552.jpg   Dogs..so many of 'em it must be a hobby!-att504557.jpg  
Old 07-25-2009, 07:33 AM

Interesting...I felt a bit odd putting a thread up about dogs on a bike site, but I can see that I'm not the only sucker. They are part of my family for sure.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, those are very cool dogs! I don't recall ever even seeing a pic of one of those... which is odd, because they're beautiful dogs. Very cool indeed!

Here are a couple of "cute" pics of my border pup...

Name:  IMG_0348-1.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  14.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0360-1.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  17.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0350.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  29.5 KB

I like this one... It kinda captures a little bit of his personality. Always watching.. lol..

Name:  IMG_0341-1.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  15.9 KB

Old 07-26-2009, 07:22 AM

Dylan, I've always been a big fan of the Doberman. I'm on my third one now and had a good mate in England with one, which is what got me onto them. He was one of the boys! However, now I've got a Border Collie I think I might have to always have one. I know what you mean about "always watching" and also "a bit of a charmer". I picked ours up from the pound (sent him there from the school thinking the owner would pick him up), and rang my wife to tell her we had a new family member. When we got home she came up to the ute (dual cab) and looked in. "Lucky", as we obviously called him, was on his back across the two kids laps clearly realising he'd fallen on his feet!

He's straight to my wife when we let them inside, and she thinks the sun shines from you know where.. I put an ad on the radio, went to both vets in town and told them I'd found a dog, and put a sign on the school notice board by the road. I'm sure some loser dumped him after the cute fluffy puppy stage was over and some work was involved. He wasn't knocked around but was wild. He used to jump on the roof of our dark metallic blue Ford Falcon and, since we live in the bush, scratched the **** out of it! Worse still, the 55kg Wolf Hound cross we had used to follow him up there!!!! Honestly, it tried my patience. When we were going to sell it I had to spend days cutting the paint back..

With dogs I feel that you get out what you put in, plus interest, and after a couple of years of him living with us I think the tools who dumped him lost out big! I'll post a pic later.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:11 AM
Administrator - Retired

Dave, they are certainly unique dogs, that for sure. Mine has been getting into frisbee a lot lately. When he gets tired of playing, he'll drop the frisbee and lay on it...
He's really gotten so much better in the past year or so. The first year, he was terrible. He just wanted to get into everything. Now, I guess he's grown up enough that he's settled down a bit.
I've had many dogs, and he was probably the worst as far as being bad. And what's funny is that it was only when we'd leave. If we were there, he was an angel. I figured out what he was up to by setting up cameras. Wow. He would look out the windows to make sure everyone was gone, then he would look through EVERYTHING in the house. He would open drawers and doors, he even pulled out a dining room chair and then climbed up on the dining room table!! He would do stuff I've never seen a dog do. Humanlike things. Kinda scary, really.. lol..
The other dog would just hide because he knew they were gonna get in trouble.. lol.
He's really good with kids. My sister in law has a 2yr old girl, and I watched her interact with the dogs the first few times... and the border is beyond good with her. She tried to climb down the steps once, and Raider whined and then came and got me. He didn't like her on the stairs at all.
She'll fall over and grab his hair to pick herself back up or steady herself, and he doesn't even flinch. He even plays tag with her. He'll run really slow to let her get ahead and then he'll trot away and watch her chase him. My Aussie was really good with kids, too, but this border is wonderful. He's just a people dog, if you know what I mean. Never growls, and rarely barks. I think he thinks he's a person. I've caught him sitting on the couch like a human...just watching tv. Sitting on his tail, legs straight out, back against the back of the couch. I mean JUST like a person. Hilarious chit...

Old 09-23-2009, 11:56 AM

You probably remember my post about my dog Louie...
Well now Louie has a little girlfriend!
I just adopted this little Bassett Hound from the local animal shelter. Her name is Lucy. I know, they sound almost the same, but I figure I can call one of them and they will both come.
She is about 3 1/2 years old and already house broke. Ive only had her a couple of days, but Louie and her are already best friends.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Administrator - Retired

Haha! Very cool, Steve!

Dam, those things have some huge ears!! lol..

Old 09-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Old 09-23-2009, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by mikekop
I've got three of them, a very rare breed called Swedish Lapphund. Origins from alleged 8000 years ago, when the hunting people populated Scandinavia after the latest ice age. The Laponian people have been using them as hunting, herding and guarding dogs. There is about 1300 of them in Sweden, 500 in the rest of Scandinavia, and 3 in U.S, 2 in U.K, 3 in France, 2 in Holland and 2 or 3 in AUS!
They are sometimes referred to as "The hidden Black Gold of Sweden"
Those are beautiful.

Quick Reply: Dogs..so many of 'em it must be a hobby!