The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Darwin at work

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012 | 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by larry1096
My friends and I went through a period where it was a competition to see who could knock down a bigger tree...with a pipe bomb...........It was only luck that we never blew ourselves to bits....
When I was a teen I made some nice pipe bombs too. One day we left one end uncapped and packed dry paper against the homemade powder, wet paper, dry paper, crushed stone and then more dry paper. We put the capped end against the fire wall of a 1955 Studebaker and blew the front end right off the car. My dad was working behind the pole-barn through the woods and the shot crushed rocks went through the woods and then embedded in the back of the barn all around my dad, we could have killed him. He ran through the woods to see what was going on after the huge BOOM that made him jump and he was actually excited to see that his sons have developed into mad bombers. New technology always seams to tickle the mind.

I think it was his idea to put the next one under the drivers seat. When it went off, it turned and went up through the seat a through the roof. The car was a blaze. I remember seeing the pipe disappear up and over the mountain, a screaming black dot going up and over the mountain. Where we we?...We were hiding behind the corner of a neighbors garage next to ground zero. If it had turned toward us, it would have done more than just take your teeth out. The garage would have been no match for that thing. It was the last bomb we mad.

We escaped Darwin that day and days before it. Keeping with Darwin's theory, I do tell my kids of things like that that I did so that the next generation is better. The thing is that when I tell them about the things I did, they stare at me and don't say a thing.