The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Darwin at work

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daftest examples of darwinism I saw;

A large barn full of hay was fully ablaze in the fields about 1 mile from our house.
Turns out 2 local lads took 2 young gals into the barn to enjoy some teenage kicks.
One of the lads liked the sounds coming from the other couple and lit a match to watch the action.

Both of the sisters died, one of the boys survived.

2 women in a renault 5 approaching the t junction that I was waiting at.
Huge dump truck waiting to turn across after the women pass.
I was watching the women. They were talking to each other -

For some reason I will never understand the 10 wheeler decides, at a time where it would be utterly impossible for him to pass in front of the renault 5, to complete his turn.
The women continue to talk, looking at each other not at the intersection, at the last tenth of a second the driver looks to the road.
The renault continued driving under the truck and the women were decapitated.

Another, more relevant, old man on moped, wrong side of the road.
Oncoming car just smashes into him.
The grim reaper makes it too obvious sometimes.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Jesus Christ Baron, where is it you live?

It is plainly a very dangerous place to visit.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:37 AM

the 2 women in the renault incident always made me think about liability.

they weren't looking at the road, but at each other.
the truck driver knew he couldn't get past the car in time. he was stationary then inexplicably started up and crossed the womens path.
if the women were looking forward rather than at each other they would have braked.

blame? 50/50?

never decided on that one.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The truck driver was the initiator of the accident. If he hadn't moved, nothing would have happened.
The women were just doing what women always do.................
They shouldn't have died for it IMO.

One of the lads liked the sounds coming from the other couple and lit a match to watch the action.

Helluva way to get your jollies ! HEHE

Attached Thumbnails Darwin at work-grim-reaper-1.jpg  
Old 07-08-2012, 11:26 PM

When I hear about things like this, I always consider the utterly inane crap I did when I was a kid, but managed to escape unscathed from. Well, mostly unscathed...

My friends and I went through a period where it was a competition to see who could knock down a bigger tree...with a pipe bomb. We managed to get to about 4" diameter trees before some common sense oozed in, and we realized we were starting to make stuff that could easily be lethal if we screwed up. It was only luck that we never blew ourselves to bits....

Larry

Old 07-09-2012, 04:22 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by larry1096
When I hear about things like this, I always consider the utterly inane crap I did when I was a kid, but managed to escape unscathed from. Well, mostly unscathed...

My friends and I went through a period where it was a competition to see who could knock down a bigger tree...with a pipe bomb. We managed to get to about 4" diameter trees before some common sense oozed in, and we realized we were starting to make stuff that could easily be lethal if we screwed up. It was only luck that we never blew ourselves to bits....

Larry
Yeah, but Larry, were you smashed out of your brain while handling the explosives? That's where the difference lies

Old 07-09-2012, 04:39 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I once fired a speargun with a 12 guage shell on the end (warhead) at a tree.
Next thing I knew the spear came back past me and went backwards into another tree and embedded itself a couple of inches.
A Darwin moment to be sure.
And I was sober.....

Old 07-09-2012, 04:41 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Exactly right Hawk, as a young teen, my friends and I would fill up old 1 gallon kerosine cans with oxy/acetylene mix, fit a wick and watch the very spectacular results.

But we were always sober, never huffed LPG, and probably actually had some sense of self preservation (ever though we didn't have a single high viz vest amongst us)

Note to self: a high viz vest does not make you invincible.

"I once fired a speargun with a 12 guage shell on the end (warhead) at a tree."

And Shadow I do remember doing dumb **** like that too, eventually worked up to (after much experimentation) a .303 cartridge held in a vise , a nail punch, and a hammer.

Man, that'll make your fecking ears ring.

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-19-2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: profanity
Old 07-10-2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Yeah, but Larry, were you smashed out of your brain while handling the explosives? That's where the difference lies
That's true, and probably all the difference, I suppose. Back in my police days, our Chief was famous for saying, "If it wasn't for alcohol, this town wouldn't need a midnight shift." He was right, too.

And I have to admit, I'm curious what happens when you 'huff' propane? I assume you would just DIE, but maybe I'm missing something?

Larry

Old 07-11-2012, 03:38 AM

I guess that what happens is that they get all light headed from oxygen deprivation and think that is a cool feeling but in my opinion if you think getting high on something that smells of ethyl mercaptane (smells like skunk evidently) is fun then they have a bit of a problem with reality.
A couple of beers or wines or shots of my scotch of the moment work pretty well for me, but then I'm probably a boring old fart.

Quick Reply: Darwin at work