The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Calling Dr. SB

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Calling Dr. SB

I have found and killed no less than six Potter Wasps in my house today. I haven't been able to locate their nest.

Any advice?

Old 06-30-2013, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Ok First an admission Woof, I have no idea what Potter wasps are - I'll Google them in a minute.

For European Wasps here (Vespula germanica), we give them bits of mince that they can juuuuuuuuust carry. That way they are slow flying and easily followed to their nest - being a larger visual target. Here they are underground or in trees. Then a liberal dose of a legal insecticide usually wipes out the nest - and there can be 1,000s in it. PM me for good chemicals

I'm off to look up Potter Wasps.

Cheers, SB

Originally Posted by wooferdog
I have found and killed no less than six Potter Wasps in my house today. I haven't been able to locate their nest.

Any advice?

Old 06-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Ok an update.........

Potter Wasps are solitary wasps, although they share similarities in structure with the social wasps. In fact, they are generally considered to be in the same family, Vespidae (European Wasps - nasty, nasty buggers), and belong to a distinct, separate subfamily, Eumeninae.

They feed on and paralyse live insects or spiders to lay eggs on inside their mud 'nests'. There will only ever be one wasp per nest.

Rarely will they attack or sting Humans (too big to carry back to the nest) so can essentially be considered harmless.

So, my professional advice Woof, is to shoo them outside where their nests will be. It must have been a good Spring and numbers have built up.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, SB

Old 06-30-2013, 04:55 PM

I apologize for asking a PhD. in entomology for exterminator advice. I'm certain your studies involve the higher aspects, meanings and contributions of bugs in the world we live.

The pics I gleaned off the net tell me they're Potter Wasps and not Mason Wasps. They have a different coloring than Mason Wasps. Large things, slow moving with a long thin body and a very pronounced thorax. Black with yellow stripes.

further research is telling me that they may be Paper wasps. See link

http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublicatio...643/eb0643.pdf.

The Yellowjackets around here are the most common and aggressive stingers. We did bbq last night

Last edited by wooferdog; 06-30-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

I apologize for asking a PhD. in entomology for exterminator advice. I'm certain your studies involve the higher aspects and meanings and contributions of bugs in the world we live.

The pics I gleaned off the net tell me they're Potter Wasps and not Mason Wasps. They have a different coloring than Mason Wasps. Large things, slow moving with a long thin body and a very pronounced thorax. Black with yellow stripes.

The majority of my professional career Woof was spent learning new and inventive ways to control (euphemism for kill to levels below the economic threshold) pest insects in citrus and vines - using other bugs to kill the bad bugs (Biological Control). We did use chemicals but only as a last resort (Integrated Pest Management).

That lesson was bought to you today by the colour blue - usually seen as a bottle of Bombay Sapphire

And there is absolutely NO need to apologise. I'm here to help in any way I can.

Cheers, SB

Old 06-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

further research is telling me that they may be Paper wasps. See link

http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublicatio...643/eb0643.pdf.

The Yellowjackets around here are the most common and aggressive stingers. We did bbq last night
If they are paper wasps, look under the eaves for the nests - and paper wasps are still Vespula family (they fold their wings lengthwise), but are much 'browner' than the European - or German wasps as the PDF says.

If they are either of those refer to my first reply. They are nasty little critters and take 'ownership' of food or drink and are most aggressive if you try to reclaim that ownership. European wasps have been known to kill humans by stinging the throat if inadvertently swallowed when inside a can of drink (soda to you dudes).

I also had a patch of citrus chemically sprayed for paper wasps once as every time a picker would pluck an orange on a bough that had a paper wasp nest, he/she would be attacked.

Nasty, nasty little canastas!
Cheers, SB

Old 06-30-2013, 05:18 PM

The agricultural benefits of insects is a big field of study here in Washington.

Questions about microwave phone towers driving off the native colonies of pollinators in apple and wine country have arisen lately here

I've seen the bee keepers for hire, who's colonies are shipped in to pollinate the orchards. not the usual honey collection

Old 06-30-2013, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
If they are paper wasps, look under the eaves for the nests - and paper wasps are still Vespula family (they fold their wings lengthwise), but are much 'browner' than the European - or German wasps as the PDF says.

If they are either of those refer to my first reply. They are nasty little critters and take 'ownership' of food or drink and are most aggressive if you try to reclaim that ownership. European wasps have been known to kill humans by stinging the throat if inadvertently swallowed when inside a can of drink (soda to you dudes).

I also had a patch of citrus chemically sprayed for paper wasps once as every time a picker would pluck an orange on a bough that had a paper wasp nest, he/she would be attacked.

Might invest in a trap and see what critters it yields

Nasty, nasty little canastas!
Cheers, SB
I've looked under the eaves and cannot locate a visible nest. In Olympia the little buggers had burrowed into the exterior siding but were easy to spot because of their traffic. Took some work but I got them all

Last edited by wooferdog; 06-30-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

If they're yellow and black Woof they are most likely the yellowjackets - Vespids and for those they are probably underground or in a tree trunk or suck like. Harder to find, so give 'em mince and follow. The should be within a couple of hundred yards of your house.

Cheers, SB

Old 06-30-2013, 09:32 PM

Thnaks, I'll give that a try.

Granted we must have given them no small amount of temptation, but after spotting them this morning and cleaning up the remains of bbq and some hard cider drinking. I haven't seen another today.

Quick Reply: Calling Dr. SB