The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Arizony biker shootes camera operator

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 04:55 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Arizony biker shootes camera operator

'I DIDN'T MEAN TO HURT ANYBODY'

THE VICTIM AND THE SUSPECT: Speed camera operator Doug Georgianni (left) and the biker accused of shooting him, Thomas Patrick Destories.

April 22, 2009

By Amanda Lee Myers

An elderly Arizona biker has been arrested for shooting-up a speed-trap camera van with a .45 pistol, killing the operator inside.

Thomas Patrick Destories was riding his motorcycle when he was arrested on Monday on a first-degree murder charge in the death of Doug Georgianni, 51, who was shot Sunday night in the photo radar van.

Destories, 68, told police: "I'm sorry. I was going to turn myself in. I didn't mean to hurt anybody. I saw the shooting on the news. The gun is in the saddlebag."

Police found a magazine for a 45-calibre pistol in Destories' front pocket when they arrested him Many people assume phot radar vans aren't manned.

Phoenix police spokesman Sergeant Andy Hill said on Monday investigators determined a first-degree murder charge was appropriate because of an analysis of items found at the scene and statements Destories made to police.

Hill's comment came when asked about the assumption many people make that photo radar vans aren't manned.

Five large-calibre bullets hit the marked Department of Public Safety van. Three were grouped on the window of Georgianni's seat, police said.

Georgianni had worked for three months for RedFlex Traffic Systems, which has a state contract to operate the photo radar systems.

Arizona became the first US state to use photo speed enforcement on state highways last in 2008.

Critics say the programme is costly and unfair to motorists. Proponents say photo radar saves lives by slowing drivers and frees police to tackle other problems. - Sapa-AP

Old 04-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Come on, Steve.... let it all out.
I'll talk about carrying with ya'!! I'll definately "go there".... it's what makes life fun!!
I've been shooting all my life (well, real guns at 7yrs). It's a dam shame that this biker has to make responsible adults pay for his actions. Just not right.
I think it's very sad that the guy in the van took a bullet. The guy on the bike is definately an irresponsible a-hole who deserves to be punished. 1st degree murder? Not so sure about that... This surely wasn't a premeditated type murder with a motive or something. Not really an accident, though, either. I mean..what the hell did he think he was doing!?

Old 04-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1st degree is not only reserved for premeditation. If someone dies due to your commission of a felony then it is 1st degree. For instance, you rob a bank and during the get away you clip someone's car and they crash into a telephone pole and die ... that is 1st degree murder.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Administrator - Retired

I figured someone would come on and say that, and you're right...
He was definately committing a felony at the time just by shooting the van.

No doubt he's done. Laws are weird sometimes, though. I guess if it was my family member, I wouldn't care how it happened, I'd want "justice".. ie..want him fried. Just seems to me like there should be a difference between trying to murder someone and it happening as a result of another crime that didn't intend to murder someone.

Definately a sticky situation...
Dumb a-hole..

Old 04-23-2009, 01:10 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on Nevada , stop holdin' back and let it all out

I agree with a lot of what you said mate and especially with the Thomas Jefferson stuff , here in the UK our government is a lot older than your's so we got no chance at all

Speed cameras are just a way for the state to sting you for a buck and cameras in vans are even worse , if you want people to slow down in a particular place have a camera but paint it bright colours with flashing blue lights on top , but hey we call them cop cars

Old 04-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Administrator - Retired

Come on, Hawk!! Don't say you have no chance!! There is always a chance!!

Preach it brother Nevada!!
People can only be pushed so far.

I could go on for hours, but I won't. Let's just say that I agree with much more of what Nevada said than not. And this is just the beginning. This country is in for a long hard road ahead if sheeple don't get their heads out of their a$$es. I feel for the poor guy in the van (and moreso his family), but I've also been smacked around by cops for next to nothing.
I almost had my arm broken by a cop one time for reaching for registration papers. Also had a gun pulled on me after being pulled over for speeding in my car.
I'm a registered and active Libertarian, and we'll leave it at that.
I'm tired of a huge court system that's doing nothing but spending tax dollars filling jails with potsmokers, drunk drivers, and people with unpaid tickets. It's a joke.
I'm also tired of small town police with nothing to do, following me around on my motorcycle to try and get me to slip up. It's BS.
And I'm also tired of people going against the ideals of the constitution to try and disarm me and make me weaker in the eyes of the government and criminal element.
Wait, I said I wouldn't go on... Sorry.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:05 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=CBRriderNevada;774923The van driver was not a cop and he was doing what we pay the cops to do - control us!!! F.CK ME, I didn't just say I pay to control myself, did I?!!![/quote]
Er.........kinda

Quick Reply: Arizony biker shootes camera operator