How To's Show us what ya did and how ya did it!

HOW TO: Valve Adjustment (OH.MY.GOD.SO.MANY.PICTURES)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HOW TO: Valve Adjustment (OH.MY.GOD.SO.MANY.PICTURES)

ORIGINAL: collector

Great post. You cant get lost with those instructions, well laid out. Bet that took you some time to sort out getting it up on the forum?
Took me three days to do the write up. Mostly just trying to find the urge to continue typing.

ORIGINAL: Bassman

Very useful write up. Good pictures too. There's just one thing I didn't understand. Why do you need to remove the left side fairing? I've beeen adjusting the valves on my '93 CBR1000F since I bought it new. I've never had to remove the fairing for this job. Besides the seat and tank I only remove the protective cover over the timing inspection cover. Of course the other bits that block the removal of the valve cover have to come off.
Good point too about setting the clearance a little loose before tightening the lock nut.
IIRC, the manual says to remove the throttle cables then pull the valve cover. I don't like to mess with cables that much, plus, I also went in and cleaned out my front sprocket area again of all the crud that has built up over the years.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:32 PM

I don't disconect the throttle cables either. It's a real tight squeeze, but I can wiggle the valve cover out with the fairing and cables on. I do see how it would be a lot easier to pull the valve cover off with thefairing off first.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:11 PM

is it unfinished? wheres the valves?

Old 07-19-2008, 08:19 PM

Awesome write up. Thank you for taking all the time to do this.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:21 PM

Sorry, as someone else PM earlier, the forums going down hacked my write up to pieces (this one and the others). I just found out the other day and haven't had a chance to fix them.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's kind of what I figured. That sucks.
I thought I remembered there being a lot more to it.

Between this write-up and the manual, if you can't figure it out...just give up.

The manual, by the way, does come in handy. (thanks again, shadow)
However, this write-up is awesome...

Old 01-19-2010, 09:03 PM

Bumping this back to the first page. Yes I know it's incomplete. I'm working on it on another window ATM with some music blaring to keep me awake for the next hour

Oh yeah, and bigger pictures!!

Last edited by malbojah; 01-19-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:10 AM
Talking a big thanks

a big thanks to everyone for the pictures and the comments on this valve adjustment thread...this job could not have been so easy and everything went just like everyone said...so thanks again...now its time to ride....haha

Old 04-17-2010, 07:34 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Malbo this is a wicked write up and funny too. Love your style.
Just one thing and I hope you don't think I'm being picky but you've mixed up your inches with mm. The settings you refer to are not mm but thou. I'm sure everyone will work that out for themselves but if you can go down to the local auto store buy a set of gauges that measures 0.004mm I'd love to know where it is.
Correct settings for valves in mm should be- Inlet=0.1 +/- 0.02mm. Exhaust=0.18 +/- 0.02mm.
Your specs are correct in imperial.

The two gauge method is also my favourite. One goes in, one doesn't. And you're right, the exhaust valves nearest the frame are a pain in *** to get to.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:36 PM

Hi guys, this is a wicked write up !

I also found the Common Honda Service + Haynes Manuals detail another way of cecking the valve clearances. It requires checking the clearances at # 1 & # 4 cylinder TDC which only requires turning the crank 1 complete revolution / lining the timing marks for both, which is good if you only have one spider gear timing mark like on my bike.

I compared valve clearances for both methods & found my inlets the same & some exhausts a couple of thou tighter but as the are clearances measured from different locations on some cam lobes (between the two methods), i just went for the biggest gap (which happened to be Malbo's write up method).

I sketched up something that you may or may not find helpfull ?

Enjoy !

Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: Valve Adjustment (OH.MY.GOD.SO.MANY.PICTURES)-honda-cbr1000f-valve-adjustment.jpg  

Last edited by mrchips; 02-09-2011 at 09:42 PM.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Valve Adjustment (OH.MY.GOD.SO.MANY.PICTURES)