How To's Show us what ya did and how ya did it!

Engine Rebuild Video Series - 87 CBR1000F

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another Excellent instruction, the only thing I could pull you up on was not wearing Steel Toecap Boots instead of those rubber ones

Old 09-18-2017, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Haha I thought about editing those out but it was like 35 degrees out that day and let's just say the viewer was lucky to even get coveralls

Old 09-18-2017, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Yeh , we are surrounded by Heath and Safety here in the UK

Old 09-18-2017, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Agree, and I should really know better. My first job in the collision repair industry I was lucky enough to work for a shop manager that made compliance a top priority. With frame jobs it was common practice to strap the car down, and have a couple thousand pounds pulling on the frame from various rams while hammering away at the kinks. If a chain came free and you were in its path, you could lose an arm or worse. Became second nature to wear all the gear, and I picked up some good habits

That same shop I worked under a painter that was near the end of his career. I probably don't need to explain why, but after that experience, I became very keen on keeping paints and solvents away from my internal organs. The hazards weren't officially acknowledged, but anyone who'd been near a booth could see what a lifetime of exposure looked like. At the same time, while silicosis was well-understood, I can't remember many journeymen bothering with dust masks when blocking

You're right though, I'm probably being a bit cavalier with toe safety. I'd probably miss them if they were gone

Old 09-23-2017, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tentacleslap
Agree, and I should really know better. My first job in the collision repair industry I was lucky enough to work for a shop manager that made compliance a top priority. With frame jobs it was common practice to strap the car down, and have a couple thousand pounds pulling on the frame from various rams while hammering away at the kinks. If a chain came free and you were in its path, you could lose an arm or worse. Became second nature to wear all the gear, and I picked up some good habits

That same shop I worked under a painter that was near the end of his career. I probably don't need to explain why, but after that experience, I became very keen on keeping paints and solvents away from my internal organs. The hazards weren't officially acknowledged, but anyone who'd been near a booth could see what a lifetime of exposure looked like. At the same time, while silicosis was well-understood, I can't remember many journeymen bothering with dust masks when blocking

You're right though, I'm probably being a bit cavalier with toe safety. I'd probably miss them if they were gone
Waiting for my next installment

Old 09-26-2017, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Hey, I've always been one to move at my own pace - could be why I never earned a cent in industry!

Here's part five, ya nag

Old 09-26-2017, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Really enjoying these video's , keep them coming, really good on the video editing too. Well done tentacleslap

Old 09-26-2017, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Well they're far from perfect. Could probably shave a couple more minutes off and the audio isn't great, but I am just a hobbyist after all, so glad you're enjoying them

Old 10-12-2017, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks for putting this series out there. While they may not be perfect, I thought they were very well done: well paced for the most part and the camera work was a lot better than I would have expected. The script writer deserves kudos, as well, for sticking to the advertised subject rather than making the producer the subject.

Thanks, again!

Old 10-13-2017, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you like them. We'll be getting to reassembly soon so filming that should be a fun challenge. I've got a mind like a goldfish sometimes so odds are I forget a critical step at some point. Feel free to roast me in the comments when I do

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild Video Series - 87 CBR1000F