How To's Show us what ya did and how ya did it!

Alternative DIY Soft Grips

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative DIY Soft Grips

Being at a funny age and having some problems with my wrists (no jokes please) its an age thing I decided a new set of softer grips might help so began looking around for some. Well some were not bad but still would'nt offer the degree of comfort or look I was after. Some foam ones not bad but boring.
The answer came to me while siting in the sun having a beer at home............living in Queensland Australia we like to keep our beer cold and use a 'Stubby Holder' to hold our amber fluid especially when the weather gets really hot.
Its made of the same material that divers suits are made off so works well.
Basically I cut the holders to suit and wired them over the standard grips 'motocross style'. Result...much more comfortable and I think they look the business too. See Pics bazzasmotoblog.blogspot.com.au
A bit of a talking point and fun when catching up with those I ride with or meet.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:22 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unique approach to the problem. If it works hey - great.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

I like the cut of this mans jib.

How do you get the join in the "wire" nice and flat so it doesn't snag your gloves?

And, alternatively could you use something like Ados F2 to actually glue the overlays over the standard grips?

Old 05-26-2012, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by kiwi TK

How do you get the join in the "wire" nice and flat so it doesn't snag your gloves?

And, alternatively could you use something like Ados F2 to actually glue the overlays over the standard grips?
I cut the stubbie holders to size and wrapped them round the grip so as the sides were just touching, then when I wired them on twisting the wire with a pair of pliers cut the end bits off and pushed the wire end into the join...so no problem with snagging. As for glueing I suppose you could do that but myself I would still wire them as well.
I think this may catch on as others I have met when riding think its a great idea and very different.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very interesting Bazza. As they say - Necessity is The Mother of Invention.

Enjoyed reading thru your blog.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:02 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi TK

Maybe small "zip straps" ....?
But I use masking tape wrapped around the bars to give a "fatter" grip which reduces bar buzz and you don't snag your gloves on the wire.
I guess thin neoprene fitted under the grips would work too ?

Old 06-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Default Update DIY Grips Mk2

DIY Grips Mk 2

Well the 'Stubbie holder' beer grips are holding up well and very comfortable over the OEM ones.
Changes: I have taken them off and modified them by turning them over..she who must be obeyed says they look better. Anyway they are still wired on but more tightly this time to give a kind of finger-grip style see more + pic bazzasmotoblog.blogspot.com.au time for a well earned beer or two

Old 06-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Default DIY Reshaping stock seat

Go to this link on the forum to see my how to: https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...ock-one-33776/

Old 06-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Banned

I'm going to utilise your idea Bazza and make some fork protectors using stubby holders to sit on top of the fork dust seals wrapped around the forks, so the fork tubes are protected from stones and in turn the fork seals are then protected from a damaged fork tube scoring the seal and it leaking. Its probably a good thing that they wont be seen unless you look up under there but I'll try and do them as tidily as possible. Will post pics when I've done them.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:58 PM

Hey Bordo good idea sounds the business look forward to the pics

Quick Reply: Alternative DIY Soft Grips