How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Tips on cheap exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 05:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on cheap exhaust

I just recent modified my stock exhaust by cutting it in half took off the middle part of the tubes.. there are three tube inside the stock exhaust. one is coming out from the headers back to the small pipe inside then comes out to the back.... I wish i can show you guys more clearly. if you guys have any quastion of how to do it let me know it will save you $300 hundred dollars.by doing this it really sounds nice didn't loose any power, no power commander needed. just take off the middle pipe inside the exhaust and re weld back the exhaust together. it only cost me $30 buck to weld it back together. on idle you still have that stock sound,but only when you rev up you will get that asome $300 dollar sound coming out off yr exhaust... try it! I really recomend it for riders that are try to save money like me..
[sm=smiley20.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4551/42825CD1774748E1A03CA761EC9073D7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Default RE: Tips on cheap exhaust

I did the same thing except i did not cut it in half. Used the plasma cutter on each opening of the muffler.

Old 04-14-2006, 03:05 AM

hey guys, Can yoou give me a more detailed instruction really want to get my project started...

Old 04-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys... i think you have found one of the joys of motorcycling, home mods !!!!!!!!!! GREAT!!!!!!!!!!. But, I got to say it...Exaust mods, can be tricky... as they affect even how you air box works w/ your carbs or fi. This stuff is bizarre... how it all works togather.
I got the idea to build a set of "proper" cans for my 84 1000f interceptor....ARRRGH!!!!!!!!!! It seems exaust mods, even simple ones, can change way more than just sound. check out "revision" in exaust therory, on line. should be afew sights. worst case scenario, over scavenging, (pulling the intake charge thru improperly) changing torque curves, "hole'n HP curve, Lean spots w/ surging, less bottom end, "wierd at 70", engine running hot ... the list is almost endless. Lessening back pressure, always sounds like a good idea, and does seam to enhance perf., but that air box, was built w/ a dyno,IN cojunction w/ that factory pipe, as are, those 300$ aftermarket cans. Even when exspensive cans are dynoed, there can be a bit of diff. from each others output, w/ more diff., to be revealed in "drivability"
I aplaud your desire, no doubt, but there is so much too it, exaust tuning. wana get into sick??? check out 2 stroke exaust therory... absolutly insane and impossible w/o a dyno, or a deep, deep understanding of alot of formulas and therory, then dyno, for the truth !!!!!!!!!!
I found one of my down falls... "if a little, is good...BONZAI!!!!!!!!!" I gave up w/ 5!!! different baffle set ups, in the interceptor cans ,i built, "need more input!!!!". All have'n "trade offs", in power/ torque curves and "drivability". Some, a blast!!!!, as the topend, 8000rpm to 10500, was insane... but tragicaly effected my mid range( +, you could call cops, from 3 miles away, literaly!!!ooops!!!!!!!!!!!"sorry sir !!!!!!!!") Honest, I had my carb rack off 14 times,seeking the perfect tune !!!!!!!! Juggling ,at it's most obssesive !!!!!!!!!

Air box mods, needles, springs, baffle diameters, length and cofigurations, can dia. and length, tip dia. ARRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!! I swear, I AM, going to build the ultimate cans.... and now,I have a "dail a jet, to install !!!! Now ,if I could only "loosen up" that v&h ss2, on my 94 1000f, abit... BONZAI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Clean and free, only smoke'n harleys!!!!!!!!!!!! Ripp'n P.S. don't tell the harley people, there straight pipes, really dont work for **** !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-21-2007, 11:13 PM

old tread,kick:-)

i modified my exhaust to this week,1989 cbr 600.

sounds great,nice heavy sound when idling...

i will make a movie with sound for who likes it.

i like the original looks of the muffler,so i saved myself like 300+ dollar.

thanks to herb600rr

it's different,but looks like herb's idea.

there are tho walls(right word?)in the muffler, i used one of them with one pipe.

on the end off the muffler i welded i new pipe that goes out.....simple idea:-)

alfred

alfred

Old 05-24-2007, 10:20 PM

has anyone here every thought of gettin maybe like a borla car exhaust and doin somethin with it...

Old 06-06-2007, 01:46 PM

I've been wanting to build a very small can or even find a baffle to weld into the end of the pipe right where it exits the fairing on my F3, but I still haven't found a way to test if it works or if it is hurting my engine possibly other then just listening and feeling the engine while riding it.

If anyone finds a site or any useful information involving open exhaust w/ a baffle or even any good ideas on how to tune it somewhat accurately without a dyno I would appreciate it.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:39 PM

hey man your just great, with diagram and all, was very explicative.. can you tell me how it goes with the time? any problem? loose power? overheating probs?.. i planning to do it on a CBR 600 rr 2005, do you think mught be the same system? pls enlight me with all tips u can.!! thank you

Old 09-18-2007, 12:53 AM

I was reading about this.. but seems everytime u male this kind of changes u need a power comander?? whats that is it true??

Old 09-18-2007, 04:40 AM

An 05 600 rr and your willing to possibly damage your valves from lack of back pressure, or seriously altering your performance curves for better or worse, to save yourself 250-300$? Let me guess, you wear construction gloves,a Lee Storm Rider jean jacket,and skateboard Kneepads when you’re in the twisties just to save a few bucks.

If you can't afford to do it the right way, why even worry about it. How much education or experience do youhave in the design of an exhaust system / slip on? What would you rather do, save up over winter for a slip on or full system and have something that was designed on a race track for performance and get dyno and race proven improvement, or make your own, most likely get worse performance, oh yea and also most likely have to take your bike in for a valve job.

I've been customizing cars, trucks, and jeeps for the last 15-16 years. I'm not saying I know everything, but I've learned enough that yes designing and creating your own stuff is fun and educational. Come on though honestly guys know your boundary’s, I've witnessed lots of friends trying to do things on their own that should be left to the professionals andevery instance so farended being far more expensive.

Good luck if you try it, but I'm not sure how sympathetic people will be when you have a pity party complaining about how much it’s going to cost to fix your bike, and saying things like geeze why don't I ever get a break.

Learn from others mistakes