How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Onarom Originals:

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Make your own LED strip lights

Subscribed!

Old 05-15-2008, 10:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude you got 1 hell of an imagination

Old 05-27-2008, 10:49 PM

My Puig windshield was nice enough to focus a bunch of sunlight on my instrument cluster (remember frying ants with a magnifying glass when you were a kid) and melted the top portion of my speedometer. I was lucky and a fake carbon fiber overlay (from ebay) was enough to cover up the damage. But to prevent any more melted holes...

I found a small piece of fabric that was some kind of cotton/spandex mix (it was stretchy). I removed the Puig screen so I could get better access to the back side of my speedometer. I then zip-tied some of the material behind there. Ultimately, I created a hood.

Here is what it looks like with the "hood" up. It really isn't noticeable at all in person (especially with the tinted Puig.

Name:  IMG_3631.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  61.7 KB

And here is what it looks like with the "Hood" down

Name:  IMG_3633.jpg
Size:  51.0 KB

It has worked great for a number of months now. No problems at all.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Default GPS and attachment

I was fortunate enough to pick MIO c310x as my GPS device. Why? because there are hacks for this GPS that allow you to turn it into a mobile computer. I can play MP3's on it (that is also a stock feature), sore and view photos, play videos/movies and change the interface. The other bonus is that I found a website, boxwave, that was selling a protective metal case for $0.99 + shipping. I just got it in today and I already found a great way to attach it to my bike.

Here is what i bought (notice the belt-clip and the roll of metal which will be used later):

Name:  IMG_3621.jpg
Size:  46.4 KB

I then took some flexible metal (with holes) that can be purchased at any home hardware store (it's used to hang pipe) and bolted it to the HESD cover on my bike.

Name:  IMG_3625.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  56.7 KB

Then I used the included belt-clip device and screwed it into the casing through one of the existing holes in the metal. The completed mod looks like this:

Name:  IMG_3623.jpg
Size:  43.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3624.jpg
Size:  33.2 KB

It also comes with a protective screen that I can easily flip down to access the touch screen:

Name:  IMG_3629.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  47.2 KB

I will probably add a string/lanyard to the casing and attach it to the bike as a failsafe measure. I will also add a cigarette lighter to my bike so I can keep the GPS charged when I am out on long rides.

Now I have an MP3 player and GPS readily available for me.

I know this doesn't help many people, but if 1 other person uses this idea, I feel that this was worth the time it took to type.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Default RE: GPS and attachment

Freaking rad GPS mod. Are you secretly MacGuiver?

Old 06-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Default RE: Onarom Originals:

ORIGINAL: Onarom

Want to tint your headlights or make that silver swing-arm have a unique look?

Try using some of this:

To create this blacked-out headlight look:

Or this look on your silver swingarm:

More info: <click here>
That looks pretty sick on the swingarm! Do you have anymore pics of it? I've been looking around for a while but I havent been able to find anything like that. Where can I get some? Great mods man and great write ups!

Old 06-03-2008, 01:54 PM

Think you could explain a little more on the blacked out headlight thing Onarom?Please!

Old 06-15-2008, 09:40 PM

Hello..... (echoes)

Old 06-18-2008, 06:53 PM

Sorry- this is the first day that I have been able to post in WEEKS, and trust me, I have tried every day.

OK, the original link is here: https://cbrforum.com/m_193163/mpage_.../tm.htm#193163

The headlights were really easy. Just buy some of the "rear Window Graphics" and cut out some pieces that will cover the headlight and then some. Start applying at the center of the headlight and, using heat (heat gun or blow dryer), stretch the material to conform to the headlight. The I used an exacto knife to cut off the excess.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:56 PM

I will try to get and post more photos of the swingarm later. Up close, it looks like I placed some fishnet stockings on my baby. From about 5 feet away, it looks like carbon fiber.

I have also modded my GPS adapter a little more, I will add details of that later (I am at work right now)