How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

**NEW** HID INSTALLATION WRITE-UP (for newer style kits) 09-05-07

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 01:55 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: **NEW** HID INSTALLATION WRITE-UP (for newer style kits) 09-05-07

The slim ballasts are VERY easy to hide under the upper side fairings. Even the large ballasts will fit under there (with a little bulging of course).

A lot has changed in the HID world and the slim ballasts are now digital. All the newer slim-ballast kits are digital ballasts and are now just as bright as the larger ballast kits (though, warm up time still takes a bit longer than the larger ballasts)

To answer a few questions about where I get my kits. The place I've purchased before has since gone downhill and I don't purchase from them anymore. I just recently retrofitted my car with HID headlamps and fog lamps and couldn't be happier, here's the link..........

http://www.manyadeal.com/

Old 11-19-2008, 02:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: John Mellencamp

Why are these things illegal and would you ever run into a problem getting it inspected or ticketed ?

[align=left]Are these XENON HID light systems street legal?[/align][align=left]
No. All XENON HID conversion kits, no matter the source, are not DOT approved. Moreover, in the U.S, this is not street legal for use on public roads. As a result, we officially endorse the kit for exhibition and off-road use and will only sell the kit to be used for these purposes. We are not responsible for buyers who violate the terms of sale. They will assume all responsibilities for any unauthorized or unintended use other than exhibition or off-road use.
[/align]
inspected? maybe in cali they would be hard-asses - but i've ridden in idaho and las vegas for over 9 months and never had a cop do a u-turn and pull me over (idaho is ticket heaven too. really strict)

from what i heard, they are illegal because of the brightness of the bulb and how it's "not" directed in one point (the road) this can cause glare to other on-comming drivers and temp. blind them.. And i can agree from it myself, b ut i also get blinded by brand new BMW's with the HID's. But i do love mine and never had trouble with them

Old 11-23-2008, 11:19 AM

i have an 03 600RR, anyone know hot to remove the side fairing that is under the handgrips? there is a plastc screw on the inside but i cantunscrew it, it looks like ones that u need to pop out but i cant figure out how.i want to see if i can store all the wiring and my slim ballasts in those.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:25 PM

I have a 2005 F4i. I want to install an HID kit... since my current lights SUCK for night riding on Arizona roads. On the site mentioned by Blue Fox, I found this kit:

http://www.manyadeal.com/index.php?m...81qipq1fpv9dv2

Would something like this work for me? I a bit nervous about picking up a kit that costs 60 bucks, when so many others are selling for 150+. Has anyone used this kit, or know anyone who has?

Thanks a million

Old 01-10-2009, 02:48 PM

go to http://ddmtuning.com/ddmhidkits.htmlthey have kits for motorcycles and there ballasts are super thin.Plus they have a lifetime warrenty on parts. I have a set on my jeep and they are awesome.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:26 PM

I bought the kit from DDMtunning . For $60 what do you have to loose they work gr8 very ez install I think it took 10min. The ballest are so thin . I had to take my bright and aim it down all the way.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:28 PM

Hrm... I could lose 60 bucks. That's have the price of my new undertail (unpainted stuff is cheap... thank god I can paint). Has anyone used the 55 Watt kits? Are they street legal... or rather, has anyone got pulled over by a piggy, bear, or moose humper for using them?

Old 01-15-2009, 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: rocketjoe

I bought the kit from DDMtunning . For $60 what do you have to loose they work gr8 very ez install I think it took 10min. The ballest are so thin . I had to take my bright and aim it down all the way.
Do you think you can take some pictures of the lights with them on and then shining on the wall with your bike about ten feet from the wall please?

Old 01-15-2009, 08:34 PM

I pony'd up and bought a kit. I'll take pictures of the install on my 05 F4i. I've never made any sort of installation how-to or FAQ, but I'll see what I can put together while doing the install.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:25 PM

do you put both ballasts into the same place?

Quick Reply: **NEW** HID INSTALLATION WRITE-UP (for newer style kits) 09-05-07