How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Installing a lust racing lowering kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 02:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a lust racing lowering kit

Today I decided to install the Lust Racing lowering kit which reduces the seat height by approx 30mm. This would be enough to allow me to get both feet down, but not enough to **** up the handling (hopefully). The installation of the kit is an absolute doddle!! There really is nothing to it. But, you have to be able to raise the bike and make sure it's stable. In the absence of a centre-stand, I used an Abba Superbike Stand.

Once the bike is on a stand and the rear wheel is off the ground, remove the back wheel. There is no need to remove the exhaust as suggested in the fitting instructions. Next step is to undo the three nuts and bolts holding the original triangular brackets in place.

If you're worried that the spring or the swingarm is going to fly somewhere once you remove the bolts - don't worry - they're not! Just remove the bolts and let the swingarm rest.

Remove the old plates, put them in a plastic bag and store them away in case you want to restore the bike to its original state. Now fit the new Lust Racing plates. Note how much more substantial they are than the Honda plates! There's some markers on the plates to indicate which part faces the front of the bike and which faces the link. Dead easy!

Refit the nuts and bolts and tighten up. That's it!! All you need to do now is refit the back wheel and re-tension your chain. I can now sit on the bike with both feet almost flat on the ground. Out on the road, the bike feels fine and didn't bottom out going over speed bumps. At some point in the future, I might lower the front by 5mm by dropping the yoke down the forks. Overall, this bit of kit does exactly what it says on the tin and is so easy to fit! They also do a kit to raise the height of your 954.