How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

how to wrap your tank in Carbon Fiber

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 02:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats sick....how much would you say the piece to do the tank was? for the c.f., resin, and whatnot? do you think itd be a cheaper route than buying a perfect tank and getting it painted?

Old 03-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-17-2011, 11:18 AM
July 2011 ROTM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by itlnF4I
thats sick....how much would you say the piece to do the tank was? for the c.f., resin, and whatnot? do you think itd be a cheaper route than buying a perfect tank and getting it painted?
it was about $30 for the carbon fiber and about $20 for the resin. you would want to paint it... but it is certainly cheaper than buying a perfect tank...

Old 03-18-2011, 05:56 AM

why paint it? it looks awesome unpainted on yours.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:37 AM
July 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by itlnF4I
why paint it? it looks awesome unpainted on yours.
painted=clear mine has been cleared. you will want to clear it. haha.. that would really be a pity. "there is carbon fiber under there... i swear!" however, you could get away with not painting it. i just wouldn't recommend it.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:12 AM

im starting to think i should just do the same with fiberglass. im planning on white and black knock off oems with white wheels, i dont know how well a CF tank standing alone would look lol

Old 03-18-2011, 09:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by knifemaker87
it added 0.23 lbs. that pushed me over the edge of my wieght limit. =( i am can no longer accelerate. it is a single later of carbon with just enough resin to saturate it, the layer is about 0.02" thick.

and i did get it painted.

and installed on the bike. first start up this weekend hopefully.

Def nominating you for ride of the month next month. Really nice job.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:56 PM
July 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by kazspeed
Def nominating you for ride of the month next month. Really nice job.
thanks dude! i am hoping to get it running tommorow.. so very exciting. and the exhaust is done now too.
thanks!
~chris

Old 03-20-2011, 11:29 PM

ok so the bike that is going to become my main ride has the silver with flat black lower fairings on each side. It I was thinking now that this could really set it off as i have a darker color scheme going on. the silver is not bright, more deep i would say. Exhaust is carbon fiber styled, the honda logos are like a grey anyway...

What would you recommended as far as fitting the plastics together after it's coated? Is it thin enough to fit do you think? would the right angle be a problem area? and for where the screws go would you just drill it out? Plus where the front part meets the header cover piece there is a tab that i would need to save. I feel like this would really set the bike off but idk it it could happen...since you've worked with it just wondering what you think of the situation. its not going on the bike pictured below

this is how it fits, so the lip is covered by the middle fairing. going on this bike.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man, I want to see the pictures but they are all gone!

Not sure if I would want to wrap the whole tank but there are some bits I was planning to wrap on my F4. Where are the pics?

Quick Reply: how to wrap your tank in Carbon Fiber