How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

How Two

Old 01-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Now see- here's a debate for discussion already!

"DON'T scoot all the way back in the saddle"
-Scoobydoobie

Now I don't ride that way on the street, but a recent article I read stated that the author had been corrected by an instructor TO scoot his *** back further, in order to tip into corners easier, and he said it really helped him to control the bike better. So... any advice out there? This is the point of the new Section!

Old 01-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Thumbs up

Now see- here's a debate for discussion already!

"DON'T scoot all the way back in the saddle"
-Scoobydoobie

Now I don't ride that way on the street, but a recent article I read stated that the author had been corrected by an instructor TO scoot his *** back further, in order to tip into corners easier, and he said it really helped him to control the bike better. So... any advice out there? This is the point of the new Section!

Scoobie is obviously saying don't do BOTH at once,(butt back, leaning forward) but he fails to mention the third part of the equation, the Hole Shot he took when the light turned green that REALLY caused the wheelie!

Old 01-13-2010, 03:59 AM

I wonder if it was so he could slide his butt to the side of the seat easier?

I've always stayed just about in the middle of my seat when aggressive cornering.

This would be a great thread to sticky though.. Hope it gets done soon.

I've posted this awhile ago, but I'll do it again. this was me at deals gap in 05. At 58 seconds is actually where the photo came from that is my sig. If you look close, you can see killboy on the leftside of the road. Oh, and before I get yelled at, in the very beginning, the car we passed was waving us by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR1rPpnLIiQ

Old 01-13-2010, 11:28 PM

That's fahken awesome. very smooth!

Old 01-13-2010, 11:37 PM

That's Cool!

Old 01-15-2010, 03:08 PM

thanks. That day was our best day. We just cruised at a constant 35-40 mph throughout the whole thing, straights and corners, versus trying to go through as fast as we could. It made for a much more enjoyable ride.

Are we going to get this thread into a sticky? I think it would be a great addition. One of the best sticky Ideas I've heard in awhile. It would be great to have a place where you can see information on riding styles, wet riding, riding curves, riding double, riding at night, riding solo, riding in groups, suspension set-ups.....ect. There are plenty of newbie riders that would benifit quite a bit from a section like this. I've seen so many posts about these questions, it would be great for one area of information.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:08 PM

Check your local forums. Here in socal theres a group that runs a Skillz day every so often. Kind of a 1 up of MSF, but its put on by private instructors, really no registration fee but they accept donations, which most usually do anyways.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I get my crap together I'll put together a How-to riding section. Still looking for ideas on different subforums for that section or if you guys think just the section for now. For example, could have a track section, street section, etc. We already have a gear forum that I could move to the new area.

Just need some ideers ... I ain't all that smart ... just ask Steve

Old 01-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

prolly should be a basics section, with Juliet's countersteering thread stickied there. A section for the things you might encounter during a MSF class but they glossed over for time sake.

Trust me, they barely touched on countersteering. And the e-braking part was mostly could you do it vs what's a good sequence for getting it done. A place for the gobs of basic riding tips that a new rider will need to survive their first month with all their hair (and bones) in place

Old 01-18-2010, 11:14 PM

Just the section sounds great, or subsections too? maybe just the section, and let nature take its course?

Search this Thread