How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

How To Rebuild / Clean / Overhaul Your Calipers With Fresh Seals *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot to add, you can skip the overhaul of the rear brake. Unless it's leaking or sticking...it doesn't get much use right?

Old 05-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Slick, that helps a lot.

Unless I find the rear caliper is the one sticking, I may decide not to overhaul it. On the other hand, I'm going to have so much stuff apart that I may as well do it. I guess it depends on how the front calipers go, but if they're easy another 30 minutes is no biggie.

I'll have to check the cost of the dust seals when I get home, but I'll be sure to take a look at the rubber seals before ordering those.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:08 PM

No prob, happy to help.
If I was closer I would help cleaning lol

Old 05-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

May not need to replace the seals, on the rear. but fresh grease in the floater pin boots is a good idea. When I re-built my calipers the seals were fine, so all I needed was push the pistons back in, and then clean/grease it all and then back together.

As far as rear brakes don't see as not much use, on the street with normal commuter riding, I use all my brakes, all the time.

The rear brake comes into play the most, in the last 30mph of a stop.Thats when the chassis has stabilized, you are as far forward on the shocks as you are going and the rear end is no longer 'floating'. Even though It's not completely critical while just running around the neighborhood, etc., I am constantly working on 'muscle memory' for that moment when it IS critical.

Ern

Old 05-09-2011, 10:02 PM

Turns out the problem isn't the brakes at all; the rear tire is dead flat. Dunno how that happened, but I'll probably tear my brakes apart anyway just for peace of mind. It probably hasn't been done in 10 years.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:59 PM

come on man!

How was that possible? Didn't you notice it?

You had me rollin here bro

Old 05-10-2011, 02:01 PM

LOL.

I was just trying to get out the door, and I didn't even think about the tire. It just felt like trying to back up in my car with the e-brake on, so I figured it had to be the brakes.

Sitting on the garage floor, the tire didn't look very flat. It wasn't until I jacked it up on the stands and started pushing, then the whole tire squished in, and I figured it out

Old 05-10-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Slick 6
At this time I usually clean and oil up my floating rotor buttons, cuz'if they start to stick you might warp your rotors.
What is this?

Ty
Moses

Old 05-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Avi

Hey, thanks for this write up, it's just in time!

few days ago I got the seals, already has the MC kit, now all that is left is the SS hoses and I am ready to rock

you don't happen to have a master cylinder rebuild tutorial just waiting, do you ?

Old 05-11-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by WiSH2oo0
What is this?

Ty
Moses
If you go to your bike and look at the discs, you'll see a kind of "rings" that hold the disc itself to the carrier. Those are the button rings and if you grab it and push/pull you'll feel them moving sligthly.

This is what allows the disc to "float" on the carrier, minimizing warping

Originally Posted by Avi
Hey, thanks for this write up, it's just in time!

few days ago I got the seals, already has the MC kit, now all that is left is the SS hoses and I am ready to rock

you don't happen to have a master cylinder rebuild tutorial just waiting, do you ?
Sorry bro, my MC is good

Quick Reply: How To Rebuild / Clean / Overhaul Your Calipers With Fresh Seals *PICS*