How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

How-To: Garage Door Opener Using High Beam Switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: This Is What I Did...

ORIGINAL: axsys

No problem guys! I'm glad you got this done successfully on your bikes. Out of curiosity, does everyone else garage door opener work like mine where it activates when you turn the switch on and then once again when you turn the switch off?
I also used the + and - from the high beam to power my 12v remote so it only opens when I hit the Hi-Beam switch to "on". The rest of the time, my remote isn't getting power even if the relay is being tripped.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:50 AM

great mod...i tried to do something like this but for all of you who are just as lazy as me i just ripped open my opener took out the circuit board duct taped the hell out of it and double stick taped it to the inside of one of my plastice pieces.... works like a charm!

Old 01-11-2009, 02:25 PM

Did it and I like it! Works perfect! I used no circuit board, but did it like this:
relay:
Name:  PICT0301.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  24.5 KB
resistor & capacitor:
Name:  PICT0298-1.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  24.9 KB
finished with some shrink wrap:
Name:  PICT0303.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  22.0 KB
I installed it like this: I taped the relay to the headlight and the remote under the dashboard.
Name:  PICT0311.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  30.4 KB

Old 05-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Lightbulb Use the horn as the trigger!

Thanks for this diagram. Did this on my Shadow spirit 750. Had to share my expertise now that the relay is all diagrammed up. I am using a Genie GIC-1 (12v) remote for my "overhead door" brand opener. I cracked it open, used tin snips and cut it in half right at the half circle mark down the middle right where the switch connects, soldered the switch point to the topmost resistor (solder on the left side) above the chip. Instead of dealing with flopping the light switch and having to dig for wires since my bars internally wired, i tapped the horn! Just a quick tap of the horn does the trick, and its used rare enough not to worry about it activating.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Default Job well done

Nice little Sunday project for about an hour and a half and only costs $15. I didn't even take off the fairings!!! Great post, flawless!!!!! I used the white wire for power and the green for ground. Sorry the print is so small on the diagram.

Name:  P7260100.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  96.1 KB

Old 07-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Old 03-16-2011, 08:59 AM

I did this with a garage door opener and a micro switch. I mounted it under the starter side and then located the door opener in the body work. works really well.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:21 PM

Excellent guide man, I just finished mine tonight, little weekend project.

My garage door opener unfortunately used a 3v button cell, so I had to add a small voltage regulator to eliminate the battery, but that was an easy add.

Works great, here is a quick video I made and an imgur album of the project.
Remote entry from High Beam Toggle - CBR600RR - YouTube
Photo Album - Imgur

Old 01-31-2012, 01:32 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard of similar set-up using the horn switch to a relay. Which is a good use of a
use-less item on a bike, your time is better spent on avoidance, then hoping they
avoid you.

There's also a video running around, where the guy uses the horn for a garage door
opener. He pulls up, hits the horn, and his daughter comes running out and opens the
door for him. lol

Ern

Old 01-31-2012, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
There's also a video running around, where the guy uses the horn for a garage door
opener. He pulls up, hits the horn, and his daughter comes running out and opens the
door for him. lol
haha, yeah here is that video
Motorcycle Rider invents unique garage opener - funny - YouTube

Quick Reply: How-To: Garage Door Opener Using High Beam Switch