How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Clutch components

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch components

This may sound like a stupid question, but I know some of these components have specific measurements and tolerances. Anyway, doing a clutch job on my friend's bike and he bought EBC Kevlar clutch plates and is considering buying Barnett steel plates. Does this matter, or will the bike blow up as soon as I kick it in first? Jk. We want to make sure before he goes out and buys these. He burned up all of the plates in his basket.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It should not make any difference but I would buy EBC steel plates since he already has their fiber plates. He could have purchased a complete kit that contained all the required fibers and steel plates. It would be hard to mess up a clutch installation and will not blow up the bike even if you do something wrong. If installed wrong the bike will not go in gear properly. Just make sure you soak the new fibers and steel plates in fresh oil before installing them so you don't cause excessive wear on the clutch on startup. Then follow a service manual to install them in the correct order. The steel plates have a smooth edge of one side and squared edge on the other. Install all of them the same direction. I read somewhere to leave the squared edge facing out towards the pressure plate. That's how I installed mine last month when I replaced my clutch after installing a shift kit. Depending on how many miles on his bike the springs probably need replaced too. Do not over tighten the bolts holding the pressure plate. Most bikes have torque settings around 9 ft/lbs for these bolts.