How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Clear Alternatives Tail Light Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Clear Alternatives Tail Light Wiring?

ORIGINAL: bluej511

quick question for you guys who have this and have it installed.

Are the turns signals back feeding and leaving your cluster turn signal lights on but not flashing (only flashes when you turn)?

My undertail has this problem and i need 8 diodes for all the wires, its so cheap and funky that i'm going to give it up completely and go with pimpbike/ca.

Now all i have to do is match up the wires for the brakes/running light/ground...now what about the turn signals is it one wire for each side or is it turn signal + and ground for each side?

Thanks for the help
ok as far as the feedback I think I know what you are doing wrong... you have flushies on the front and have all 3 wires hooked up to them...
what you need to do is remove the marker wire or if you want to keep the marker lights then add diodes in line on both positive wires..

here's how...
http://www.600rr.net/vb/attachment.p...p;d=1176568046
make sure the silver stripe in the diode is towards the light they are on way and will not let the power feed back.
I did all the wiring off the bike and then put them in. much cleaner and easier that way.

as for not getting the blinkers to flash you need to install the resisters like in the following pic.
Name:  resisterinstall.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  8.1 KB

hope this answeres some questions.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:37 PM

I only have 2 hooked up in the front i have no markers just turn signals, the rear isnt hooked up right now and the lights are off so i will buy 2 seperate turn signal lights and hopefully that will fix the back feeding. I hooked up two bulbs quikcly and it worked with no back feeding, idk if the LEDs will be different

Old 08-27-2007, 07:35 PM

ok but remember that yellow is blinker on the CA tail light. once you remove the stock tail and blinkers the stock brake/tail light wires just plug in and the blinkers attach to the yellow wires... you will have to test to find the right and left..

Old 08-27-2007, 07:53 PM

The question is with the CA installed and properly wired, am i going to need resistors and diodes to NOT back feed into the cluster or once i install it everything works properly and the turn signals only flash when i turn and wont stay on. Idc about them flashing quickly i think that grabs attention a lot more then flashing slowly.

Get the question now or am i still making it unclear?

Old 08-27-2007, 09:36 PM

Instead of hard wiring, go to the local hardware store and get quick connects, they cost about $1.10 for a pack of 8 and will save you an awfull lot of headache if you need to remove fairings. There easy to install, just strip about an 1/8 inch off the end of the wire, slide on the quick connect and crimp it. I would also recommend covering all your connections in a lithium grease. this will prevent shorting out due to moisture.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:22 AM

Well everything is just connected with crimps right now, once i get the CA next year or this winter. I will be soldering everything together then shrink tubing it. I just ordered some LED turn signals for the rears for now. Ill see how it works and looks, id rather spend 30$ right now then 200 to just the undertail and get the tail light

Old 08-28-2007, 10:08 AM

ORIGINAL: bluej511

The question is with the CA installed and properly wired, am i going to need resistors and diodes to NOT back feed into the cluster or once i install it everything works properly and the turn signals only flash when i turn and wont stay on. Idc about them flashing quickly i think that grabs attention a lot more then flashing slowly.

Get the question now or am i still making it unclear?
no you should not need anything to keep from feeding back into the cluster with a CA tail light. this is why I asked if you changed out the front blinkers... and the resisters only need to be used if either you get no blinking at all with turn signals, or you want a slower rate like stock.
the only thing I can think of is you might have the plate light wire in the mix somewhere. if the brake and tail work right then check around for other problems... but the blinker wires are yellow on the CA tail...

ORIGINAL:bluej511

Well everything is just connected with crimps right now, once i get the CA next year or this winter. I will be soldering everything together then shrink tubing it. I just ordered some LED turn signals for the rears for now. Ill see how it works and looks, id rather spend 30$ right now then 200 to just the undertail and get the tail light
bad idea to solder in your wires... if you ever have to get the tail replaced or remove it for some other reason it will be a nightmare... like hedp203 said quick connectors... radio shack is still good for one thing I guess.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:11 PM

Well everything is already cut up except for the turn signals and the plate light (which isn't hooked up btw) This is just a real cheap undertail im guessing, we played and tried different wires for an hr. The front blinkers work fine, if i hook up the rear blinkers into the tail light i have now (built into the undertail) if i only hook one turn signal both lights blink haha idk the brakes and running lights work great so i just purchased turn signals and just gonna drill right into the undertail since ill be changing it next yr anyways

[/align]