How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

01 F4i GP SHIFT CONVERSION

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 05:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 F4i GP SHIFT CONVERSION

Hey so after looking around I found some simple instructions on how to do the shifter conversion. I could not find any DIY for this model so I made a vid of it.

NOTE: You have to destroy (cut) your front sprocket cover to have it fit back on the bike.

My bike is an 01 CBR f4i. I did not include re-assembly because I didnt do it yet. It is a very simple process of cutting and reattatching the front sprocket cover.

Link to youtube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ98U-D-9TU

STEPS
1. Remove fairing(optional) and sprocket cover(must).
2. Remove bolt holding the linkage(thing) in place.
3. Slide the linker off and turn it upwards slide back in place.
4. Check that the bolt screws in completly and that you have clearence when shifting. If it hits you need to adjust the rod.
5. If you need to adjust the rod Remove rearset.
6. Loosen locking nut and shorten the rod. Hand tighten the nut.
7. Put rearset back on and put the linkage on facing upwards and check again for clearence.
8. Tighten the locking nut and bolt.
9. Take it for a ride and make sure you like the new shifting.
10. The sprocket cover will need to be cut in order for the linkage to fit and not rub. Cutting the bike= harder to sell(possibly). So make sure you enjoy it and know what your doing before cutting your sprocket cover.
11. Check all the nuts and bolts to be sure they are tight!!!!!!
12. Cut and re assemble the sprocket cover( optional ).

Old 06-14-2009, 10:55 PM
vaa

What timing!!! I was just looking at my Project CBR today to see if the conversion could be done. I'll be doing this when I replace my chain and sprockets. Thanks for the vid. Are you going to do an updated vid of the completed project? You say (optional) for step 12. Do you think there is a drawback to not putting the cover back on?

Old 06-15-2009, 06:38 AM

I say optional because I know some ppl who race without the front sprocket cover and it causes them no issues. The only problem i could see is if you use grease... to lube your chain it could make your boots messy. The 3 overflow tubes also come very close to the sprocket and chain but I dont think they would ever make contact unless you were sticking your foot in there, which would be hard to do on accident.
I was out hitting the twisties and pushing the bike hard without the sprocket cover on and had no problems. I dont think I will update the vid or steps. The finish is pretty simple, you just have to cut the sprocket cover so it will fit and bolt it back on. Everything that gets taken off goes back on the exact same way. Glad you liked the vid!

Old 06-18-2009, 10:33 AM

Ok so forgive my newbie ignorance, but what does this do? Why would someone want to do this and what is the GP Shift conversion change? The shift pattern?

Old 06-18-2009, 04:01 PM

it makes it so the bike shifts 1 up 2-6 down, instead of 1 down, 2-6 up. it normally makes it easier to shift up around corners. that is the quick explanation. i'm sure geckert could probably tell ya a lil more about it.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:11 PM

Yes it will reverse your shifting to 1 up 5 down. I find the upshifting to be much smoother now that I did the mod and much easier especially when Im WOT, since a tap down on the lever and im in the next gear. The only complaint I would have is that when you are going slow, like coming to a stop sign it is a bit annoying to tap the lever up to downshift, but I always hate tapping the lever up, my foot just doesnt like to move in that direction. Also take it easy untill you have the new shifting pattern imbeded (sp?) into muscle memory. The other day I was going flat out redlining 3rd gear and shifted down into second..... luckily i cought myself before i let the clutch out or there would have been some seriuos trouble..

Old 06-19-2009, 12:58 AM
July 2009 ROTM

i was able to make my shifting pattern similar to this one, and its unusual to use in the first time.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:28 PM
vaa

I have GP Shift pattern on my GSX-R1000 so I'm used to it already. The F4i is the project bike so I'm glad I'll be able to keep both the same. It makes the upshift less likely to be missed. It also helps keeping others from wanting to ride your bike. For some reason people just get scared when you tell them it's GP shift.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:57 PM

interesting...I wouldn't mind seeing if I can do this on my bike.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:37 PM

A little something to add.....

If you have trouble with the shifter binding or tearing the rubber boot over the linkage rod end after changing to GP shift, a little grinding to the back of the pedal is required in the area shown in the pic below where the rod end on the linkage contacts the shift pedal. A couple of stainless steel washers between the frame and rearset will also add a little clearance.

Another tip is to replace the shift lever at the front of the linkage with one from a 2005 Kawasaki ZX10 (part # 13242-0016), which will bolt right on. It's about 3/4" shorter and you will only have to make a small cut in your sprocket cover. It also shortens the throw of the shifter to about half. This is especially handy if you have Vortex rearsets, since they make the shift throw a lot longer than stock. Using the ZX10 lever will shorten the throw back up nicely.

Last edited by backroad; 01-25-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 01 F4i GP SHIFT CONVERSION