General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance

BTW--yes--the great write up is how i was able to take apart the carbs, but yes, it forgets to mention that you need to clean the jets.i just don't want to take the carbs apart again for the third time. Anyone want a 20" screwdriver?

Old 03-31-2008, 12:35 PM

Sounds like you need to assure that your pilot and main jets are clean and that the air screw is set to spec...you also might double check the valve adjustment...

Old 04-01-2008, 02:44 PM

Ok--dumping seafoam in the tank didn't work. Can someone give me some pointers on how to clean the main and idle jet once I tear off the carbs again?

Old 04-01-2008, 02:52 PM

Take the carbs off the bike. open one bowl at a time ant take the jets out and clean them with carb clean...Its simple...

Some shops have ultrasonic cleaners that dont require any disasybly to the carbs...you just take the carbs to the shop and they let them sit in their tank for like an hour or so. The ultrasonic pulsations break up any resrtictions and then they take the carbs out of the tank and let it dry out

Old 04-02-2008, 12:29 AM

Much thanks. I'll try it when a weekend rolls by.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will see 3 jets. 2 are removable and can be further cleaned out. I found that I can spray carb cleaner in them, and there should be a stream coming out from some other part of the carb...either the top or out the needle valve or inside the venturi. Very fine wires...maybe from a wire brush is great for clearing out the blocks. On my F2, the idle jet wasn't removable and had a single very small hole that I couldn't see because it was so clogged. The other end is the top of the carb where the filter housing attaches. Once I cleared that out...my bike started idling smoothly and reliably.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:07 AM

First I want to send out a huge thanks to everyone on the board for pitching in on getting the bike in shape.

I ripped out the carbs again. Per the board, I opened up the bowls and removed both the main and idle jet. I ended up using a very small gauge needle to clear the passage in the idle jets (the honda service manual says not to, right?). All four of them were clogged. Only one of the main jets looked like it needed cleaning. Once everything was put back together, I fired it up.

Same as before, it would only idle on full choke...if you took it off...it would die. I remembered a week before pulling the throttle when starting -- would really fire up the engine, but of course it would die immediately after spiking.

I tried the this again, but this time, the engine fired up, revv'd high and didn't die. I don't know if having seamfoam in the tank for a week and a half helped any or not--maybe, maybe not. I kept the revs high and tore around the block a few times. When I stopped the bike, it died again. I tweaked the throttle stop screw (adjusting the idle) up -- now it runs. Do the chain and the air.

I'm glad i didn't kick the bike.

A little zen makes art out of motorcyle maintenance. You sure as hell feel it better out on the open road. Be the bike.