General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wont stay running

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wont stay running

i had similar issues with my 1992 CBR 600 F2. I spent around $500 total for a new battery, and a new reglutor/rectifier and all the service work. before you tear in to that service manual think about what your bike was like before this problem. if the idle was fine, then don't change your idle speed. if you never had issues with the carbs then don't change anything with them. bottom line approach do-it-yourself repairs in baby steps. jumping head first into an electrical issue could end up costing huge money.
get a new battery, put it on a charger for the recommened time period, and then go for a 50 mile ride turning off the bike after 25-30 miles to see if the bike will restart. if it does then your on-bike charging system is prolly fine. if the bike is dead then you know the battery is not the problem. then you will need to think about Regulator/Rectifier issues. the Reg/Rec is a small electric gizmo that returns charge to your battery. if the bike continues to die at idle and you want/need to ride it... don't let it idle! At a stop light hold the throttle at 2-3 thousand or pump the throttle to keep the bike from idleing.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:54 PM

Yeah it was idleing fine when i got it. i did have some problems with the battery when i first bought it. It wouldnt turn over at all just had some clicking noises so i took it back and they fixed it and i didnt have a problem with it. Then it would start dieing on me when i was sitting still and the battery would be completely dead. then i would get a jump and ride for it a while and it would be fine start up and run but then once i stopped and let it idle for a while it would die again. now its doing the low idle thing and just boggin down. It'll start up fine for a while then the battery will go dead. So i guess ill just do like you said and start with a new battery and see what happens. Any other advice....I mean what could it be other than the battery?

Old 03-25-2006, 02:29 AM

ORIGINAL: 13brsxsrr

ORIGINAL: F4iGuy33

I have a 2001 F4i and right toward the end of season last year i started having trouble with the battery. It wouldnt hold a charge. I would be sitting at a stop light and it would go dead and wouldnt start back up. So i dedcided to just wait until next season to get it looked at and i took it to a honda shop and all they did was charge up the battery and they said it started right up for them everytime. Well me and a friend are painting it and when we got done i took it out and tried to start it and it did the same thing. so i just rolled down the drive way and popped the clutch and it started. well when i got it home i turned it off and tried starting it and it started right up and started again the next day but once i turn it on and let it warm up and the rpm's rise then as it gets warm the rpms start going back down and then it just kind of bogs down and dies. I dont know what it is and i dont really want to take it back to the honda shop so they can charge me an arm and a leg to charge the battery again. What could it be?

Did you do a continuity test? (SPELL CHECK PLEASE!) Get yourself a voltmeter and make sure you have good ground for the negative cable at the battery, and pop the stator cover and check to make sure the wires are connected and not burnt or striped/pinched. Your going to need HONDA bond and a new gasket to reassemble the cover.

Old 03-26-2006, 04:30 AM

well, i'm pretty sure that we have an alternator. Unlike a car, the bike charges only when the rpms are at around 3k or more. I'm not too familiar with bikes right now cause i just got started, but i know this is how can test if your car's alternator is working or not. Start the car, pull of the positive battery terminal, if it's still running, then it works. I have always used a volt meter myself, i just changed the alternator on my car because it was overcharging. But whats wierd is that after you start the bike, it dies after it idles to normal rpms. Meaning your alternator most likely isn't working probably and is using most of the power needed from the battery itself. A lot of times on an alternator that is not charging properly, an easy fix to a lot of them is changing the brush on it. BTW, at pepboys where i used to work, its free to re-charge batteries if they can be recharged. All we do is set how many CCA it is on the machine and we'll let it tell us if its good or bad or needs to be charged. if something IS drawing a lot of power from your bike, it most likely is the headlights, disengage both headlights with a fully working battery and see what happens. If it still dies on you, then most likely your alternator is struggling.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:24 PM

I'm confused....I'm not sure what i should do first....do i need to buy a new battery and then see what happens or check the alternator and see if its the problem before i go buy another battery or should i be checking the wires in the stator cover first and make sure there aren't any singed ones....I dont know where to start.??????

Old 03-30-2006, 12:00 AM

to start the idle should be 1200 rpm =/- 100rpm . I had the same exact problem as you so if we can come up with some ideas we can save some money. to begin i had the same problem with idle and the bike shutting off. I rode to NJ today and my bike died on rt 42 at the service plaza thank god! the bike seemed like the bat died it would crank but would not turn over. I had one guy push me and it started right up. drove driectly to honda and bought a Yosmia bat for 65 bucks. Put it on bike started right up. I said time to go home driving back home on the AC expressway the bike is actime like it wants to stall there was no throttle response at all pulled off the road and it died batt was shot. I have the repair manual and it must have to do with the charging system. either the regulator or the stator must be bad. b/c the bike is running on the bat and as soon as the bat dies so does the bike. what i have noticed is that my regulator becomes very hot possibly could have gone bad?

Old 03-30-2006, 03:45 AM

talked to my friend he said something about the magnetos could be worn out. There are the generators for the bike

Old 03-30-2006, 10:14 AM

Ok so I took my bike to a place that my buddy recommended and the mechanic told me that f4i's are known for having the regulator go bad. He said the F3 are worse but he said that could be it. He is working on right now so as soon as I get it back I will let you guys know what the problem was...Thank you for all your help.

Old 04-08-2006, 09:39 PM

I took my bike to the shop to get it fixed because i was tired of trying everything and they had it for like a week and i got it back yesterday. They told me my electronic choke was messed up. I'm not too sure what that does but thats what was wrong so for all of you who told me your bike was doing the same thing you might want to check that out you may have the same problem. Thank you all for your advice i really appreciate it!!