General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring question on 2000f4

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question wiring question on 2000f4

I changed the broken ignition on my 2kf4 today no biggie. Here is my question... I used the ignition switch from a 97 CBR1100XX. The f4 has 4 wires and the XX has only 3. all the wires were the same and went to the same places except the little pink wire on the f4 that goes straight to the ECM. After I tested the wires I figured that I just had to splice the pink wire into the red/black wire that runs to the fuse box. Am I on the right line of thinking as that pink wire only supplies power to the ECM when the key is on??? The only reason I used that set up is because I had a brand new complete lock set for the XX sitting in my basement on the shelf. I just wanted to check with the guys that know more about this bike then I do. Thanks Stefan

Old 04-23-2011, 01:28 AM

Your going to want to be careful with that wire. On some bikes, it is actually a low voltage sensor wire for the ecm, somewhere around 8 or 9 volts. If its higher or lower, the ecm won't work and could potentially be damaged. Basically, the ecm gets its power elsewhere, but does not work until this low voltage sensing turns it on. Its sort of a anti-left thing. It makes hard for someone to hot wire the bike when the ignition is required to start the bike. So I don't think you can just run 12 volts to it. Your probably going to need to get the correct ignition switch for the bike.

You may be able to run an inline diode spliced off the ignition hot wire that will give you the proper voltage, but you will need to find out what that voltage is suppose to be. Im not for certain what it is suppose to be, but a service manual will more than likley state the value.

Is this bike equipped with HISS?

Old 04-23-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by justasquid
Your going to want to be careful with that wire. On some bikes, it is actually a low voltage sensor wire for the ecm, somewhere around 8 or 9 volts. If its higher or lower, the ecm won't work and could potentially be damaged. Basically, the ecm gets its power elsewhere, but does not work until this low voltage sensing turns it on. Its sort of a anti-left thing. It makes hard for someone to hot wire the bike when the ignition is required to start the bike. So I don't think you can just run 12 volts to it. Your probably going to need to get the correct ignition switch for the bike.

You may be able to run an inline diode spliced off the ignition hot wire that will give you the proper voltage, but you will need to find out what that voltage is suppose to be. Im not for certain what it is suppose to be, but a service manual will more than likley state the value.

Is this bike equipped with HISS?

I don't believe it is.
How would I be able to find out for sure?
I just bought this bike as a wreck so it is new to me and I am learning about it as I go.
Once I figure out the correct voltage for that pink wire I should just be able to splice in a reducing diode so it produces the correct voltage YES???

Thanks for the tip.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:45 PM

Ok I did a few tests and came up with some answers.

The Pink wire that goes to the ECM has a diode in the ignition switch that limits voltage to 11.9v. So I removed the diode from the old ignition switch and soldered it inline with the pink wire and now I am good to go.

I started digging after I did that and found that my fuel pump was not working. turns out the relay was stuck.
Removed the relay and tested it then gave it a good smack on a solid surface and low and behold it stated working.....
I will probly end up replacing it anyway but it works now and I had the bike running on the lift for about 20 mins...

I runs strong and sounds tight!!!! everything seems to check out also fan, gauges ect....
I am onto sealing the new tank with POR15 when it comes in and then that will go on.
Thanks for the tip on the voltage there Justasquid.....